Chapter 29: The Gift

"Well? Nothing?" Aelin asked. Feyre shook her head. 

"It seems Tamlin will not be joining us. We'll send a proper letter later explaining everything. But for now..." Feyre glanced apprehensively at Aelin's assassin suit. 

"What?" Aelin asked, sensing where this was going. 

"You can't wear that. You don't want to scare them all away. I'm not saying come unarmed-" The High Lady corrected herself when Aelin's mouth popped open. "We should be prepared for anything. But wearing that will definitely not help your case." 

"Well, what should I wear instead? It's not like I brought anything else with me." Aelin retorted, putting her hands on her hips. 

"Maybe I can help," Morrigan said from behind her. Aelin turned to see the female was eyeing Aelin up and down, smiling slightly. "The colors of Terrasen are green and silver, aren't they?" 

"Yes. Why?" Aelin asked, narrowing her eyes. She'd seen the kind of wardrobe Morrigan had. While she was very confident in her body, she didn't exactly want to meet the High Lords in the scraps that Morrigan sometimes wore. 

"Wait here." Morrigan turned and raced towards the room she stayed in in the river-house. Aelin turned to Feyre, eyebrows raised. 

"Should I be worried?" Feyre laughed, turning back to her mirror and straightening the diamond tiara perched on her head. It was the crescent-moon tiara she'd been wearing when she and Aelin had met in their dreams. It was even more breathtaking in real life, glittering with hues of white and blue. 

"I wouldn't. Mor won't make you wear anything ugly. She's kinder than that." 

"YES!" A triumphant yell came from upstairs, and Mor suddenly reappeared in the room, holding a flowing green dress. 

"Here! Try this." She handed the dress to Aelin, who gawked at it. It looked an awful lot like her coronation dress, made of flowing fabric that would reach past the floor and drag behind her. She ran her hand along the fabric, which was so soft Aelin knew it had to be expensive. She met Morrigan's eyes and grinned, then dashed into the room she'd been sharing with Rowan and closed the door. She shed her assassin suit and slipped into the dress, kicking the suit under the bed. 

It was even more beautiful once she'd put it on. The fabric was form-fitting until it hit her waist, where it cascaded to the floor in waves of a flowery green. A slim ribbon of sea-green silk was hanging around her waist, waiting to be tied. 

Aelin gathered the fabric up in her hands so she wouldn't trip and walked back to Morrigan and Feyre, practically twirling into the room. 

"I might just steal this from you when I leave, Morrigan." She said, running to the mirror and beaming at her reflection. 

"Please, take it

"Please, take it. I never wear it, and it looks a thousand times better on you. But please, stop calling me Morrigan! Just call me Mor." The female said, coming up behind Aelin and tying the sash for her.

"Alright, Mor. Thank you again. It's absolutely beautiful!" Aelin all but gushed, swirling the fabric around her legs. She'd had her own fair share of expensive clothing, but something about this dress reminded her so much of home she didn't want to take it off. 

"Aelin." Aelin turned at her name to find Feyre smiling at her, holding something out in her hands. It was a package wrapped in white cloth, and Aelin took it. 

"What's this?" She asked, brows furrowed. Feyre beamed at her, looking extremely pleased with herself. 

"This is from me and Rhys, to thank you for everything you've done." She gestured for Aelin to open it.  

Aelin gently unwrapped the cloth, and when it fell open she felt a small gasp escape her. She couldn't help it. Sitting in her hand was a tiara made of silver, dotted with diamonds and tiny green peridots. 

"What's this?" She repeated, her voice soft as she turned the delicate tiara in her hands

"It's a gift, obviously." Feyre teased. Aelin met her eyes, and at that moment Aelin could see how Feyre was truly the High Lady of Night. A million stars were glittering in her eyes, a sky filled with sadness and joy at the same time.

"I can't take this, it looks like it's worth a fortune-" She tried to protest, but the High Lady was having none of it. 

"It probably is. But it's for you, and I won't take it back." Feyre slid the tiara from Aelin's hands and gently placed it on top of her unbound hair. "There. A queen should wear a crown, after all." 

-----------------------------------

Just as they were about to winnow to the capital of the Summer Court, Adriata, a letter appeared at Rhys and Feyre's feet. Feyre bent to pick it up and unfolded it. Her face soured a little. 

"It seems Tamlin will be joining us after all." Was all she said. She crumpled the note and tossed it behind her, taking her mate's hand again. "Let's go." 

"Good. I was hoping to get the chance to punch him in the face," Aelin remarked. "Now I have something to look forward to." 

"No punching, Aelin!" Feyre and Rhys said together. Aelin was still laughing when the darkness enveloped them, taking them to the Summer Court.

Art by Bxromance!!

This is one of my favorite chapters I've written. I really like writing interactions between Feyre and Aelin, I feel like the two of them would be such good friends.