Chapter 2: The High Lady

I sat back in my chair and rubbed my temples. I knew it had been a bad idea to put off all this work for later. I knew it, but I pushed it off anyways. 

"You know, I've often found a good cure for too much work is to simply make Rhys do it all." Cassian drawled from across the room. I lifted a hand and flashed a rather vulgar gesture at him, which made him laugh. 

"Oh, leave her alone, Cassian. Can't you see she's busy?" Mor scolded, dragging Cassian out of the room and waving goodbye to me. I sighed, glancing out the window to admire the puffy clouds filling the sky. Just one more hour, then I'd take a break. 

Almost as soon as I'd had that thought, Rhys' voice filled my head. 

Take a break, Feyre darling. The papers won't float away if you step out of the room for a bit. 

I grumbled, crossing my arms and slouching. Maybe so, but the more I put it off the more it'll stress me out about getting it done. 

I heard Rhys laugh, and looked up to find him leaning against the doorway, smiling at me and shaking his head. 

"You do realize you've been at this for almost five hours now?" He chuckled some more when my eyebrows shot up. 

"What? No, I-" I glanced outside again, noting the setting sun."I must be more tired than I thought. 

Rhys' shoulders were shaking with laughter as I tossed down the paper I was holding. I pouted, jiggling a leg up and down. He moved some of the papers in front of me and sat down, setting his hand on my knee to stop the bouncing. 

"Feyre... I mean it. You don't have to keep doing this. Nothing will fall apart if you don't-" He picked up a paper and examined it- "Cauldron boil me, what is this gibberish?"

I tried to keep my smile hidden, but he saw right through me. Taking my hand, he pulled me up and steered me towards the kitchen. 

"Ah, she emerges!" Cassian roared when we entered. "I thought you'd never finish up. Did you take my advice, or did Rhys just volunteer to do it?" 

"I'll finish later." I waved off his comment and grabbed a cup from the cupboard, heading over to Mor, who raised her wineglass to me and handed me the bottle. 

"Thought you might need that." She teased. I grinned at her, clinking my empty glass to her full one. 

"It's a wonder my cellars aren't empty yet." Rhys mused, grabbing the bottle from me before I could pour myself any. He started to pour himself a glass but stopped just before the wine started tumbling out. His head snapped towards the window, and I followed his gaze to see Azriel flying towards the house. 

"Rhys...?" Mor asked, noticing as well. Rhys didn't answer, but set down the bottle and his cup and quickly walked out of the room. Mor and I exchanged a confused glance, and I set down my glass to follow him. 

When I got outside, Rhys and Azriel were speaking in hushed tones. Rhys heard me coming and turned before I got to them. 

"Feyre, you've been here all day, haven't you?" He asked me, taking my hand. I nodded, still confused. 

"I just came from Sevenda's," Azriel told me, his voice quiet. "There were water wolves, like yours, stalking through the streets." 

"Well, someone else could have made them. They aren't mine." I protested. Azriel shook his head. 

"I recognized them. They're exact replicas of the ones from the battle of the Rainbow. Are you sure you didn't make them?" 

"Yes," I said. "I'm sure. I've been home all day. Mor and Cassian can tell you that." 

"Were they causing any trouble?" Mor asked from behind me. I could also hear Cassian coming towards us, and Amren appeared next to Rhysand. 

"Obviously not. Otherwise, Azriel would have said that first." She comments. Mor scowls at her. 

"No, they were just walking around growling at the air." Azriel said, ignoring Amren. "They vanished after a few minutes, but then I saw them again on my way back here."

"Well come on, let's go-" I started to say, but Rhysand interrupted me, grabbing my arm as I turned to leave. 

"Feyre..." He trailed off when I glared at him. 

"You promised you'd never shut me out of things like this," I said. Everyone else conveniently found somewhere else to look as we stared at each other, a war passing between our gazes. 

Rhys finally sighed, leaning forward to kiss my cheek. "Fine. Meet us on the roof, you might want to change."

I dashed inside and to our room, throwing open the wardrobe and grabbing some more functional clothing. After I pulled the loose shirt on, my hand drifted to my stomach. I quickly walked over to the mirror and examined myself from the side. 

Still nothing out of the ordinary. But I could tell the truth that I'm sure Rhys also suspects. 

If he doesn't think I'm pregnant, why else would he try to stop me from coming?

Art by Janarunnek!