Chapter 7: The Dream

Aelin didn't quite know what to make of the female in front of her. She was obviously Fae, with her otherworldly beauty and arched ears. She didn't appear to have the elongated canines that Aelin herself did, however. The female's golden-brown hair seemed alive in the still-lingering glow of Aelin's fire. Something about her struck Aelin as familiar, but she couldn't think about that now.

"That's a long name." The female remarked. Aelin smirked. She thought it best to give off an air of importance for now, at least until she'd deemed the female non-threatening. She certainly didn't look very intimidating. Although her crown was another story. It looked to be made entirely of diamond, and Aelin found herself staring at it. 

"And who might you be? I don't believe I've ever seen you in Erilea before."  Aelin marveled at how easy it was for her to slip behind her swaggering mask again. She felt like she was back at the Assasin's Keep, interrogating another victim. Only, without the violence.

The female's brows knit together. "I'm Feyre." 

Aelin waited for more, but she received nothing. "Hm. I'm disappointed. I expected more of a mighty name from a queen." 

"I'm not a queen." Feyre replied. "I-" suddenly, the room they were in began to shake, the white walls vibrating. Aelin glanced around, then met Feyre's eyes again. 

"This isn't you, is it?" Feyre asked. Aelin shook her head. The shaking slowly subsided, and Aelin put her hands on her hips. 

"If you aren't a queen, why do you wear a crown?" She asked. Feyre looked away from her. Aelin could see this female was used to keeping secrets. Just as she was about to ask another question, she felt an odd sensation at the back of her head. It took her only a moment to realize what it was. 

"NO!" She roared. She lashed out a hand, sending a spiral of flame straight for Feyre's blue-gray eyes. Feyre ducked just in time, but Aelin launched herself at her, knocking her to the ground. Feyre growled, and suddenly she was gone. Aelin whirled around just in time to see Feyre aiming a fist at her face. Aelin swung backward but tripped over her dress. 

"Shit!" She yelled, throwing the long fabric behind her. Why'd her dream self have to be wearing this dress?

"You could tell I was entering your mind." Feyre noted, still in a defensive stance. She didn't look happy to be wearing a dress either. And hers didn't allow as much movement. "How?" 

"Is that what you were doing? I couldn't tell." Aelin replied sarcastically. "Forgive me, Majesty, but you aren't very sly." 

"I told you, I'm not a queen." Feyre said. 

"Then what are you?" Aelin demanded, summoning more flame to her hands. She wished she had Goldryn. 

Feyre's face twisted into a scowl, and she raised her hands as well. Water and fire appeared in her palms, swirling together to create a maelstrom of elements. 

"I am High Lady of the Night Court. And I don't know who you think you are, but-" Feyre suddenly stopped dead. Her magic evaporated. She was staring at something. Aelin followed her gaze and saw the Amulet of Orynth sitting against her chest. 

"The stag." Feyre murmured. She took a step toward Aelin, as if forgetting they'd been trying to kill each other a minute ago. 

"What of it?"Aelin didn't move, but caused her burning hands to flare a bit. Feyre didn't seem to notice them, and kept moving towards her. 

"That symbol burned in the streets of Velaris today." Feyre said. Aelin had no idea where Velaris was, but she could tell it was a place that meant a lot to Feyre. Feyre met Aelin's eyes again, the fight long forgotten. "Who are you?"