Chapter 17: The Threat

As soon as Feyre was gone, Deanna began to laugh. 

Mortals amuse me. She chuckled. You fight battles you cannot hope to win, against adversaries much more powerful than you. And somehow, it all turns out alright in the end. Humanity always seems to win. Her smile turned wicked. You won't this time, Firebringer.

"Tell me, Deanna. How are things back home?" Aelin asked. "Gotten rid of all the monsters yet?" 

Deanna's jaw clenched. It was only then that Aelin noticed that the goddess didn't look her usual perfect self. She bore scars Aelin hadn't noticed before. 

It didn't matter. One thought from the goddess and she and Rowan would never see Terrasen again. Aelin just needed to stall long enough to wake up. Good thing she knew how to talk. 

"Hm. Guess not." She said. She could feel Rowan next to her, possibly wondering if she was mad, or just stupid. She needed to get him out of there. Maybe she could burn him like she had Feyre. 

Before she could even try, however, Rowan latched onto her wrist. She met his eyes. 

You. Promised. His gaze burned into hers. She wanted to scream at him that she didn't care about any gods-damned promise she'd made. She wanted him out of Deanna's reach. 

Don't worry, my dear. Deanna said, sounding smug. I won't harm either of you... yet. I have big plans for you, little Aelin. Such big plans.

"And I have big plans for you, Deanna," Aelin replied. "To send you right back to that hell-world of yours, along with any other bastard immortals you brought with you." 

Deanna threw back her head and laughed. You think I'm actually here? Oh, no, little Aelin. My power stretches far. Far enough to reach you, and your precious world.

Aelin's blood had gone cold. "You mean the Lock isn't broken? You're still in your world?" 

Oh, no, the Lock is broken. Deanna said giddily. We just haven't gotten around to leaving yet. Biding our time, you would say. 

Suddenly, Aelin heard a distant roar. She spun around just in time to see Rowan blinking out in a flash of light. 

"NO!" She shrieked, trying to grab him. She spun back around to Deanna just in time for Goldryn to vanish straight from her hand. 

"What did you do to him?" She demanded, conjuring her flames. "Where did he go?" 

Dear Aelin, he's merely woken up. Deanna grinned almost wolfishly. I expect he'll be trying to wake you now, as well. However, there will be no need. Before Aelin could react, Deanna slashed her hand through the air, leaving a white streak. For half a second, Aelin thought she'd missed. Then she felt a searing pain across her chest, so strong that her own fire sputtered out, and she collapsed. Her vision sang, dancing with white spots and blurry blobs. 

Moon-fire. Deanna said distantly. You'll find it's very, very painful. Even more deadly than your flames, I'd wager. Aelin dimly saw Deanna kneel beside her, examining her crown and dress. 

You certainly look the part of a queen, Aelin Firebringer. Deanna mused. But you lack a certain... conviction. Don't worry... Deanna looked pleased when Aelin let out one guttural moan. The Moon-fire seemed to be eating away her flesh. You'll find that soon, you'll have that conviction. But I promise you this, Faerie Queen of the West... Deanna sneered at the title. 

You will pay for what you have done. You thought you could get away with opening that portal, with condemning immortals to hell? You were wrong. We will make Erawan and Maeve look like mere child's play. Deanna stood, looking quite pleased with herself. Although, I suppose we should thank you. Because of what you did, we found an even better world than yours. Rife with magical properties none of us had seen. A world with a land called Prythian. 

Deanna's grin turned psychotic. A strange light filled her eyes, giving her a uniquely mad look. We're going to steal all that wonderful magic. We're going to close that damned door you opened. And then we're going to come for you, Firebringer. We're going to kill you, and every single person you've ever cared for.

Aelin couldn't think straight. She felt as if her heart was burning to ashes. Feyre, she thought deliriously. I have to warn Feyre... 

We'll see each other again, little Aelin. Deanna purred. I want you to watch as your world burns. You will be the last to die. This is the price you will pay for your deed. Mala will not save you a second time. 

Deanna flicked her wrist, and Aelin felt her body dissolving. She closed her eyes against the white light. The next thing she knew, she could feel blankets underneath her body. Cloth brushing her skin. 

She was home. But she wasn't safe.

---------------------------------------------- 

Aelin forced her eyes open. She could still feel the pain of the Moon-fire dissolving her skin. She tried to sit up and gasped, a hand flying to her chest. She glanced down and almost shrieked. Her chest was a sickening red, with horrible blisters covering the spot right above her heart. 

"Aelin!" Aelin glanced up to see Evangeline, Lysandra, and Aedion running into the room. 

"Aelin, you need-" Lysandra stopped dead when she saw Aelin's burns. "What happened to you?" 

"That's not important right now!" Evangeline wailed, running to Aelin. "Get up, get up, we have to help them!" She pulled Aelin to her feet, ignoring Aelin's gasps of pain. She dragged her to the balcony, opening the doors and shoving her out. 

"You have to help them!" Evangeline yelled, pointing to the streets below them. Aelin's vision was so hazy from pain, it took her a moment to realize what she was seeing. Her throat closed up, tears stinging her eyes. 

I want you to watch as your world burns. Deanna had said. It hadn't been an empty threat. Deanna had revealed her plans, and she meant to keep to them. 

Starting with Aelin watching, as her own flames surrounded Orynth from all sides, blocking off all escape.

Art by Sncinder!!

Is it just me or does the Aelin picture by Sncinder look like Alexandra Daddario? 

Also, I just watched the live-action Mulan for the first time. (my mom refused to pay for it.) I don't get why everyone is hating on it!! I mean, sure, it's nothing on the original, but I enjoyed it! And the actress who played Mulan was really good, I don't see why everyone keeps hating on her acting! Also, the witch was just COOL. 

ALSO. UM. WHAT THE HELL WHEN DID THIS BOOK GET TO 1K VIEWS??? 😄 😁 😆 THAT IS AMAZING!!!