Chapter 69

C H A P T E R  6 9

Victoria could feel the slight tremor running down her body, as they were lead to the familiar halls of their home.

The whole place felt cold and desolate, Victoria's eyes scanned the area. The lights flickering inside the lamps were dimmer than usual, the big glass windows where sunlight used to pour through were covered by the thick maroon curtains.

Being inside the manor felt like being in another place with a different timezone, the manor felt like nighttime despite the unusual ray of sun streaming down from the northern England skies outside.

Victoria didn't like what she's seeing one bit. She held unto her bag tightly, looking around for any sign of life. The place is so dead and that wasn't good.

The only noise echoing within the walls was coming from Narcissa Malfoy's heels, the noise stopping made Victoria snap her eyes towards the woman in front.

The older witch opened the door that Victoria knew lead to one of her mother's lounge, it was commonly used during tea parties hosted by her mother back then. Narcissa probably knows this by nature now— after all, she has been here several times in the past. When her mother used to throw lavish parties for the sake of their place in the heirarchy.

"Mrs. Malfoy. Aren't you supposed to pick up Draco?" Julian asked, breaking the silence between the trio. Narcissa turned her head to look at them and smiled softly as she took a seat on one of the couches— as it if were her own home.

Victoria didn't want to seem rude but she did not like that idea. This room was her mother's, this house had a remnant of her mother's presence in each and every crevice. Narcissa had no right to walk in the halls of this house, with confidence and authority as if it were her own.

Where was their father anyway?

"Lucius brought him home. We thought it would be best if I were the one to tell you." She cleared her throat, her eyes flitting back and forth to the Prestons. Narcissa was trying her best to remain the composure she has. She was a wreck because she does not really know how to break the news to them.

"Tell us what, ma'am?" Julian wanted to puke. But, he asked the question because it needed to be asked.

The older wizards could feel the anxious waves of energy rolling off Victoria.

Narcissa would be lying if she would say it didn't break her heart.

"I think you should take a seat—"

"He's gone, isn't he?" It was supposed to be a question, but the way it left the girl's lips— Narcissa couldn't meet the gaze the two bored through her.

"Mrs. Malfoy... please." Julian doesn't know what he's asking even. Was it for her to answer the question? Was it for her to tell them otherwise? That no, their father is well, probably just gone for some ministry matters?

Julian felt disgusted when the thought of wishing that the news the woman brought was of his mother's demise rather than their father's.

His breathing was too quick and the pounding of his heart was too loud. His mind was running a million miles per minute.

"I'm so sorry, children." His gaze was stuck to the floor, his hands clenched into tight fists. He was biting on his lip so hard, that he cut it— the metallic taste of blood filling his tastebuds.

He wasn't handling this well. He should be strong for his sister. He needs to be strong for Victoria.

I need to be strong for her. He repeatedly told himself but, it was no use. He could feel himself in the verge of breaking down.