Chapter 1

C H A P T E R  1

The main gal for our story gathered her long auburn hair to a side of her face and huffed to herself as she tried to make sense of why did she even agreed to her muggle friend's attempt of giving her a manicure and pedicure because now, she's sporting a bleeding thumb and numb toes.

Christina Cunningham smiled warily at her from her position on the carpeted floor of her room, in her hand a brush of a navy blue glittery nail polish.

As soon as Christina finished with polishing all her nails, both girls lazed around in her bed and talked about everything and nothing. Before they even realized it, 4 o'clock has arrived and both girls got up and hugged each other for this will be the last time they'll be seeing one another for some time.

For our main gal, who goes by the name, Victoria Athena Preston, will be going to a boarding school up north (that's what she told Christina, though) and won't be back til some time around July.

"I'm going to miss you, V." Christina murmured as she stood by the foyer of her house, hands holding Victoria close.

"Me too, Chrissie. But, I really have to go now. We'll see each other soon, yeah?" Victoria says, trying to lighten up the mood. She doesn't want to leave Christina to be crying to herself especially when she knows that she won't be back by the next day to console her out of her sadness.

Christina nodded, tears already managing to well up in her hazel orbs. Victoria frowned and hugged her friends tightly.

"Hush now, this isn't good bye, yeah? We'll see each other soon, time flies fast you won't even notice that I've been gone for far too long." Victoria says, pulling away from the hug because if she doesn't leave soon she's sure it won't be pretty at all.

Christina nodded and wiped the tears away from her eyes, knowing that her best friend is right. She always was anyway.

So after saying their final farewells, Victoria headed out, bundled up in her coat because the August wind seemed to be much colder than it was before. Her feet made their way towards the bus stop, the walk already a routine for her that she need not to give a thought about it.

She's too overwhelmed with sadness to process things with her mind, so she sat mindlessly on the empty bench on the bus stop and stared at the road ahead, hands shoved deep into her pockets.

A couple minutes of staring blankly ahead and mulling over things, the bus had finally arrived and Victoria stood up and made her way inside; taking a seat in one of the middle seats in the left column.

Humming to Taylor Swift's Red that is being played in the speakers softly, she leaned on the glass window watching the world pass by around her.

A couple of stops later, the bus finally made it to her stop and she pressed the button indicating to the driver that someone'll be getting off.

The vehicle stopped and Victoria made her way outside and walked briskly on to the corner where she turned.

After walking along the pavement with tall wrought-iron fence with vines draped over it, Victoria halted in front of the big wrought-iron gates which opened upon her arrival.

She made a hurry towards the enormous looming manor in front of her, as time is ticking fast and she's supposed to be home 45 minutes ago.

As she finally slipped inside the house, making sure not to make any noise as she walks through the foyer, the door to her father's office opened.

"Victoria, come inside, child." The voice of her father ringing through the silence of the entire manor made her still in her tracks.

She tried to calm her racing heart because this was the first time she ever went against her father's rules and she's not quite sure how nasty her punishment could get.

With her head hung low, she went inside her father's office and shut the door close behind her. She tried to stall the inevitable, standing by the door and fidgeting with the pockets of her coat.

"Come closer, Victoria." She winced at the floor because she knows she's in big trouble if her father is calling her by her first name.

She thought about killing more time by slowly walking towards her father but decided against it realizing she might get into more trouble if she end up running her father's patience thinner than it already is.

"Look at me." Her father's stern voice made her snap her widened eyes, looking through her father's emerald orbs.

"Are you aware what time it is?" She bit her tongue to not let a sassy remark out or else she'd be locked up in her room the entirety of her stay in the house til she's to be sent to Hogwarts.

She raised the sleeve of her left arm to see the wristwatch her father had given to her last year as a birthday present.

"5:23." She hung her head in shame.

She's supposed to be home by 4:30.

"Almost an hour late." Her father tutted, standing up from his executive seat behind the big mahogany desk. He walked towards the huge window on the wall behind him, just a little to his right and stared ahead.

"How many times have I reminded you of keeping your words, Victoria." He asked, eyes still trained onto the part of the estate visible through the glass.

"Lots of times, papa." She answered timidly.

"And how about the importance of being time wise?" Her father says, turning to look at his daughter whose head is still hung low in shame and in fear.

"Loads of times too, papa." She muttered in shame, eyes still trained on the floor like it's the most interesting to look at. She just noticed the weird patterns on the the 6x6 tiles after staring at it intently for a couple of minutes.

The footsteps of her father made her jump slightly on her position, the wizard not noticing the movement and continued towards his daughter, bending his knees to match their heights.

He took her chin and made her look into him, tears welling up the corners of her ocean blue eyes.

Her father smiled softly at her.

"I understand that you wanted to spend as much time as you can with Christina before you leave for Hogwarts, darling." Her father said softly, making her let go of the breath she didn't even realize she was holding.

"But you should've been mindful of the time. You and I both know how dangerous the outside can get." Her father let go of her chin and wiped the tears that were teetering over the corner of her eyes.

Victoria nodded, glad that she won't be in trouble.

"Your mother may not be lenient if she were the one to catch you, consider this as a warning. The next time you break a rule, punishment will be delivered." Her father told her, petting her head.

"You run along now, sweets." He kissed the top of her head.

Throwing her father a grateful squeeze, she hurriedly yet quietly made her way outside his office and into the hallway.

But before she could even make her way towards the grand staircase by the large hall, she heard their front door open and close. She turned her head to the sound and saw her older brother Julian trying to sneak through the foyer and into the hallway.

As he walked pass their father's door, the door swung opened.

"Julian Mishael Preston." Their father's voice rang through the hall, her brother visibly getting pale as he froze in his tracks.

Well, at least it isn't Victoria who's in his shoes.

She feels just a tiny bit pity for her brother. It was his fault why he even sneaked out early in the morning and coming home after curfew.