Chapter 15: Oh, THATS What You Meant

The three of us sit in small, dark room. The only light to speak of is shining from the monitors that sit in front of us. I glance over to L, and then to the Chief who is sitting on the other side of him.

I know L introduced me as an associate to these people, but I didn't expect to actually be working on the case! What am I even suppose to be looking for? Or is this just for show?

He probably just wants to keep an eye on me.

Rolling my eye, I glance over to L before I refocus my attention to the screens, my face warming slightly. I'd curse at myself if it wasn't for the other two in the room.

While observing, so far nothing exceptional has happened. In fact, it's been pretty boring. I thought stake-outs and spying were meant to be thrilling? But everything in the Yagami household seems to be fine. Perfect even.

Almost too perfect.

I shake my head to myself. If I didn't already know for a fact that Light was Kira, I doubt I'd suspect him at all. His facade is too good. Or maybe that would be more reason to be suspicious of him.

The chiefs family finishes dinner, and we watch Light walk to his room, with a snack in hand. Again, all normal stuff. I'm told he usually just stays in his room to study.

I huff, and relax back in my seat. My rear is starting to go numb from sitting in this chair all day. I believe if I don't start actually doing something, I'm going to go mad.

On screen, Light sits in his desk chair, and reaches for a notebook.

"Your son doesn't watch television?" At the sudden sound of Ls calm, smooth tone, I stiffen.

"He spends most of his time studying. He has an exam coming up soon."

Relaxing, I refocus to watch the monitor, my brows scrunching together.

This is definitely... weird.

"Mr Yagami, why is your son eating his chips so... aggressively?" I ask as I look at the screen in confusion. He brings a chip to his teeth, and rips his head away, as if he never eaten a chip before! I look over to him, L the only thing between us.

"I don't know what you're talking about. His behavior is perfectly normal."

My brows shoot up, surprised that a man could be so blind.

Even with his glasses!

I turn my gaze to L, looking for some back up.

"Well Ryuzaki, is that perfectly normal behavior?

He brings his hand up, veins slightly protruding, and puts a thumb to his lip, "While it may be a little odd, it's nothing out of the ordinary. I did strange things too when I was his age."

Mr Yagami returns his focus to the task.

"If you say so, " I shrug, "Wait- what strange things did you do ?" I mumble to L.

He glances at me from the corner of his eye, his heading moving ever so slightly in my direction, and I notice... a smirk! The second one I've seen pulling at his mouth! The corner of his lips twitch as he regains control of his expression, now returning to his stoic stare, and back to the screens.

What the hell?

I glance over at the chief, but he seems to be completely enthralled by the monitors, not paying L or I any attention.

What could be strange to L, of all people?

With a thousand things now flooding my mind, my eyes widen at the mere possibilities. I shake my head, pushing the thoughts

Now mindlessly staring at the screens, I recall a bit of information L had given to me before we started today. When they had the cameras installed in Light's room, Light had placed a slip of paper in the door, ensuring that he would know if anyone had been in there. But L said the only thing he appeared to be hiding was dirty magazines.

Really, that's it? I chuckle quietly to myself at the thought.

Why go through all that just to hide magazines? Oh. Maybe it's because he's hiding that he's actually a serial killer. I shake my head to myself silently.

So outdated, who still uses magazines anyway? Strange...

Completely off guard, what L just said races back in my mind. "I did strange things when I was his age." My eyes dart open at remembering his words, and I dare not look over at him.

No! He couldn't have meant that kind of strange!

Involuntarily, the possibilities again begin to engulf my brain yet again, only this time... a bit more lewd. I screw my eyes shut, and rest my head in my palm.

"Something wrong?"

I jolt at Ls deep, mumbled voice hitting my ears, and at this moment, I'm extremely grateful for the lack of lighting.

"I, uh... Need some coffee." I scramble to my feet, almost tripping over them in the process. I laugh nervously and leave, existing the room as quickly as possible. Once out of the suffocating room, I shutter.

Why?! Why thoughts?! Why would you do this to me?

My brain races, and my face continues to burn with the raging storm that is my mind. Then I freeze at a sudden thought - Am I crushing on the man in the room behind me?

No. Silly of me. Yeah, I might think he's cute or whatever. But being attracted to someone, and liking them are two different things.

I steady my breath and go fetch a refreshment. Imagine the way the detective would react if he thought I liked him in a romantic way. I'm sure he would find the notion utterly ridiculous and unthinkable.

He probably isn't even interested in relationships, let alone someone... like me! I scoff at myself, as I reach for the refrigerator handle.

Definitely best not to think about this.