Chapter 32: Headaches

The air has been clean and unbothered by tension as it was before. At least for Katelyn, she feels as though a weight has been lifted from her shoulders knowing that she has the faith of L, the person she holds most dear. That's why when a video and journal had been intercepted from Sakura TV, she could rest easy knowing L was fully by her side, both physically and metaphorically.

Matsuda and Aizawa get details on the places listed in the journal entries, while Mr. Yagami calls Light to headquarters, as requested by L. Sitting crisscross beside of L, Katelyn looks over the entries in the journal. Two catch her eye; the entry regrading Aoyama and the Tokyo Dome. Her brows furrow as she rubs her temple and looks over the last entry.

She leans forward, cupping her hand over her mouth and at L's ear, "I just can't see it being the Tokyo Dome. It's too obvious." She whispers. She holds out the paper so they both can see, "I think it's the entry about Aoyama on the twenty-second."

He takes the paper, pinching it between his fingers, "There's the Shibuya entry..." he trails while looking at the journal. "But, you're right. It's most likely Aoyama."

"I bet Light doesn't mention it though."

There's a knock at the door, and Mr Yagami goes to open it.

"We'll find out shortly."

...

After Light looked over the entries, his answer was generically vague saying the second Kira, "must be stupid."

L reaches for a bonbon and stuffs it into his mouth, "To be honest, it's so stupid I'm not even sure how to deal with this whole situation anymore."

"If you cancel the game, it could make him angry. There's no telling what he might do." Matsuda says as he takes a seat next to Aizawa.

"The second Kira gave their word that they'd refrain from killing aimlessly. I'm inclined to believe that. I say we make it public and we air an announcement canceling the game. At the same time we'll announce that on May thirtieth, we'll setup check points on all roads leading to the Tokyo Dome. Lastly, we'll send a response from our invented Kira saying "I understand and agree to meet you there."

"Ryuzaki, you don't honestly expect him to go there if we setup check points around the dome, do you?" Mr. Yagami asks.

"Kira wouldn't even consider it, but the second might. It all depends on how stupid they really are. However assuming they aren't actually the idiot we think they are, there could be another message hidden in this diary. One that isn't so obvious. It would only make sense to look into all the places mentioned in the entries. We should also have undercover officers in both Aoyama and Shibuya."

"I should probably go to Ayoama and Shibuya since I blend in with the crowd there, ya know?" Matsuda says, smiling.

"I'll go too." The others either turn or glance toward Light. "They're places I'd go anyway. Not to mention out of all of us I'd probably look the most natural hanging out with Matsui there. Other than Kate, of course."

Katelyn laughs nervously due the teens comment.

"So it's settled. Light and I will go to Aoyama and Shibuya tomorrow."

...

After having told Matsuda to keep a close eye on Light while undercover, L hangs up the phone. He moves away from the window, and shuffles toward the common area. Katelyn lays on the couch, her legs hanging over the arm and he notices her rubbing the sides of her head, as she has throughout the day.

"Headache?"

"Yes, and Tylenol isn't helping." She whines.

"I may be able to."

"How?"

He moves to the end of the couch, "Move down."

Katelyn swings her legs off the arm, and scoots to the other end as L settles into the cushion. Only, he leaves one leg down while the other stays pulled toward his chest, as normal.

"Put your feet in my lap."

Already her face begins to twist, but before she can protest, L gives her a pointed look. Hesitantly she moves them to his lap, her muscles stiff with tension. Gently, he begins messaging small circles into specific points, making her relax.

L slowly moves his fingers, carefully working the spot, and it's incredible. Taking a deep breath in and out, she closes her eyes, "Wow. You're actually not terrible at this."

Katelyns yelps and jerks her foot when L lightly pushes into a pressure point. "Underestimating me is unwise."

"Aye, you're suppost to be helping! Not hurting."

Chuckling, he begins messaging once again. The two sit in a comfort silence, Katelyn quietly humming occasionally out off appreciation. As she begins thinking through the events of the day, a question comes to her.

"I was wondering... why didn't you tell the others about Misa? Or decide to arrest her yet?"

"To put it simply, I want her behavior monitored before we arrest her. What she does, where she goes, and how she delivers her videos to Sakura TV. I'd also like to see if she tries to make contact with Light tomorrow."

"Maybe I should go tomorrow."

"Undercover? You want to keep an eye out for Misa Amane?"

"Exactly. I'll be the only person there who knows who to look for. I doubt Light knows who the second Kira is. That's why he was so eager to go."

His gaze falls to her feet in his lap as he continues to message, something he never dreamed he would do. "Fine. I suppose it couldn't hurt. I'll call Matsuda."

While the two went back and forth, Katelyn had completely forgotten about her headache.

"Oh my gosh," surprised, she sits up, "you were right! I don't have a headache!"

Standing, he pulls his phone from his pocket. "I knew it would."

"Mhm, surrrre. You just wanted to touch my feet."

"My intentions were to alleviate your headache. Touching your feet was just a bonus." His lip twitches up into a smile.

Giggling, she throws a small couch pillow at him unsuccessfully , "You know, when you say stuff like that I can't tell if you're joking or not."

"I suppose you'll never know then."

As he dials his phone, Katelyn watches him walk back toward the window, already missing his gentle touch.