Chapter 2: Hello Murderer Man

A sharp, pulsating ache pounds against the back of my head. A fog begins a dissipate and my eyes flutter open, only for me to squeeze them shut again. Sitting up, I rub my eyes in hopes they adjust to the bright light soon.

Bright light ?

With a little bit of squinting, they finally adjust enough for me to see. My eye widen with panic, and my heart rate increases. Immediately looking around... I'm not at Ashley's. I'm outside. But not even outside of her apartment. In fact, I have no idea where I am.

Well, I mean, I'm in a park, but I don't know what one.

"Bro, what the actual fuck..."

Using the giant tree next to me for support, I bring myself to my feet, and look around again. I have no idea how I got here, and I don't even know where here is.

Patting my pockets, I check to see if I still have my phone and my money I made at work yesterday. Both are still there, and I find comfort in the familiar things, giving myself a few seconds to process what's happened. Whatever it is.

Pulling out my phone, I press Ashley's contact, attempting to call her. When I hold the phone up to my ear, I wait for it to ring, but it doesn't. I pull it away, and look to the top left corner.

"No service.. of course. God damn it." I curse to myself.

I look around for the nearest store, hoping I can use their phone. I spot what looks to be a coffee shop and hurriedly make my way to it.

Once inside I weave and maneuver through the others there, until I make my way up to the front counter.

I politely, but slightly panicked, ask the waitress if I can use the phone, to which she allows. She turns the phone to me, and I press the numbers on the dial pad with a shaky hand.

When I dial Ashley's number, my heart nearly stops.

"Your call cannot be completed as dialed. Please hang up, and try again." The robotic female voice rings through my ear.

My heart sinks, and continues to do so, as I go through nearly half the contacts in my phone.

"Ma'am is there a problem?" I hear over my shoulder, the smaller waitress asks, her attention to me.

"Yes, there is. Your phone isn't working. No matter what number I dial, it won't go through." She looks at the phone, as if she's surprised.

"Hm, that's strange.." She takes it from my hand, and dials a number. "Hey, it's me. Sorry, I was trying to make sure the phone was working." My eyes widen when I see she's talking to someone on the other end.

She hangs up, and shrugs her shoulders. "Maybe you dialed the number wrong."

"Yeah, maybe.. thanks."

I don't even bother to say other wise, because I know I couldn't have dialed every. single. number. wrong.

"But, I do have one last question," I say to the woman, getting her attention again.

"Where am I?"

She looks at me suspiciously, "You're in Kanto?"

"Kanto? That sounds familiar. What state is that in?" I ask her, trying to find out something, anything as to where I am.

She knits her brows at me, looking over to her coworker beside her, then back to me. "You're in the Kanto region of Japan."

I deadpan and just walk out. I don't have time for games. I need to know where I am. Outside, the very next person I see on the street, I ask.

"Sir, can you tell me where I am?" He gives me the name of the street. "No no, the state. The area we're in." I clarify.

"Uh, in Kanto. Geez lady you must've had a rough night." He walks by me, and I clutch my chest, feeling as though I can't breath.

At this point, I'm wondering if I'm dreaming.

My eyes search nearby signs, or anything indicating I can easily make my way home from here. But with every name of a location my heart sinks. Kanto. Tokyo. Honshu.

No. It's impossible.

Then something occurs to me. If I truly was in Japan, how could I understand these people? I have never spoken Japanese before in my life, so surely this must be a dream, I couldn't just miraculously understand everyone if it wasn't.

I have had lucid dreams before, and that must be what's happening now. Makes perfect sense.

I breath a sigh of relief, and decide I should wake myself up. Unfortunately, I fail. So I'll take a stroll.

Might as well since I'm here.

The sun is almost down, even though I feel like I just went to sleep. Walking down a particular street, it begins to feel familiar. Then I see it a certain little shop that looks extremely familiar.

"Where have I seen this before?" I step in and a little bell signals my arrival. I look around, and walk down one of the aisles.

Even though this is a dream, everything feel so real. The coldness from the coolers where they keep the drinks, the way objects feel in my hands, the way...

"Ouch!" I hit my funny bone on one of shelves, not realizing how close I was to it.

"That felt very real..." I grumble as I rub my tingling elbow.

"Are you okay miss?" A voice asks from behind me. I turn around with a smile on my face, about to respond to the person, only for it to quickly fade once I see him.

My blood runs cold. I nearly stop breathing.

It... it's him! From the show! Light!

All I can do is stare, disbelief evident on my face.

"Miss?" He says again, snapping me out of my trance.

"Uh, y-yes. I'm fine. Thanks." I mumble, avoiding eye contact at all costs, "Excuse me..." I nearly whisper as I push past him, and head for the exit.

When I step outside, I'm met with another familiar scene. It's from the first episode of the show. These guys are harassing that girl.

I remember exactly what happens. The leader gets hit by a car.

Through the shops large window, I look for Light, and see him with a note book open, writing in it, before he himself looks at the group. Soon after, the man begins chasing after the girl who escaped from him, only for him to get by a huge truck.

My eyes widen.

This is a dream, right?

Internally, I begin panicking. I know it isn't rational, but it just feels so real, I can't help it. I just witnessed the killer commit his second murder. That is, from what I can remember.

I take a few deep breaths, deciding that panicking isn't going to get me anywhere. I walked back into the store, and ask where the nearest hotel is and leave, heading in the direction the man told me. I just hope they take my money, since it isn't the correct currency.

But it's my dream after all, so of course they will.

When I arrive, I ask for one of the nicest rooms they have, and I'm thankful I can finally rest. Today has been exhausting.

In the room, there's a queen size bed, with a table, chair, and television. I just want to sleep this day away. Maybe when I wake up, it will be in reality.

Having no idea where to go from here, I set all my belonging on the night side table, and crawl into bed.

"Just please wake up."