Chapter 9: You're No Mr. Grey

[a month later]

I sometimes feel guilty. This place isn't an exact replica of the home I've come to know and love, but it's enough.

I'm actually making friends. And even though I don't have my parents, or my old friends, the ones I'm making now help make it better. Well, it's definitely better than the feeling of perpetual loneliness.

Though, sometimes I still feel that too. Like when I come back to my apartment, and no ones there. And I can't call the ones I know and love.

Those times, in the late night, I wonder if I'll ever return home.

Then I get up the next day, and continue with my life. And those new faces around me brighten my day. They help me forget.

And so, because of that, I sometimes feel guilty, because I'm becoming more adjusted. Each day, it becomes easier.

After a little over a month at Phia, I've gotten my own chair, and I've started doing hair once again. I didn't expect it to happen so soon, but I'm relieved. I love my job, and it's something I'm good at.

Maybe too good at.

Walking toward the front reception desk, I spot just the person I'm looking for.

"How can I file a formal complaint?" I ask Jamie.

"File a complaint? What's wrong?" She asks puzzled.

"Amanda accused me of stealing some of her clients." I state matter-o-factly.

"Did you?"

"Technically, I suppose. But her client requested me."

She deadpans.

"I understand what your trying to say, but couldn't you have went about it a bit better? Perhaps you could've declined?" She suggests.

"What? And lose out on money? Turn down a customer, and risk them not returning at all?" I reason. "Plus I gotta make sure I can cover booth rent." I shrug.

She sighs heavily.

"Just play nice from now on. We all have to work here, together."

"No promises." I mumble as I walk off.

Most of my coworkers are pleasant enough, even Amanda. But one person that can be a bit of a hand full is Mark. It's not that he's terrible all the time, but you just never know if he's going to be in a good mood, or a bad mood.

I only mention that because I work right beside him. Thankfully, he was off today though.

I'm pulled from my thoughts of today's events when my phone buzzes. I look too see that it's none other than Jack.

"Dinner at my place tonight?"

Jack has started to grow on me. Ever since that first night we meet, we've stayed in touch, and began to grow closer somewhat. He's taken me, and has even invited me to his place more than once.

Yet, every time I decline.

There's just something weird... off putting. So I'm not comfortable going to his place yet.

After my ex, I'm just not ready to jump straight back into a relationship, I think. It has been along time, and I've put everything with Joey behind me, but I'm still hesitant.

Instead of agreeing to have dinner at his place, I'll offer a compromise.

"How about my place?"