Chapter 4: Feed Me and Tell Me I'm Pretty!

He's just sitting in front of me, not saying a single word. Just staring at me with a look that could break down the biggest of walls.

What is he thinking?

I think he's irritated...

Yeah, probably. I really screwed up.

I just threw a huge wrench in his plans, since I'm sure he never thought a complete strange would just suddenly approach him, and announce they know about his plan to confront a mass murder.

I most definitely should have thought this through a bit better...

•••
Ls pov

Trying to think... actually no, think isn't the right wrong. The detective can only obsess over ways this complete stranger could have sensitive information on him. The reason he has aliases, and the reason he hasn't shown his face, is so people like this woman wouldn't know who he is! So how is this possible?

He doesn't suspect that she is capable of any harm. If that was the case, she wouldn't have announced herself.

No, if she meant him harm, and actually knows who he is, she wouldn't have spoken to him in the first place.

If she has no intent to harm, why is she here?

After he restrained her, and given all of her information to his various contacts he remembered what she said.

She needed help. She's lost.

Was that truly the only reason she stopped him? It still doesn't explain how she knows him. But once he has the information he needs, which should be by the end of the day, all his questions will be answered.

Until then, he must wait.

The woman in question is sitting directly in front of him, across the rectangular coffee table, in a chair identical to the one he's in. It had been almost four hours since he brought her to his suite, and in that time, L has already completed any preparations needed for his direct confrontation with Kira. So while he waits on Watari, he studies the girl.

When she first sat down, after being restrained, she was much more stiff. She sat in the chair as if she were in an interview.

Or being interrogated.

But now, she has her shoes kicked off, and her sock covered feet swung over the side of the arm of the chair, while she's slumped down into it, her hands resting directly under her bust.

Since L has taken his seat, her brows have been knitted together, and her lips pressed out. She will also grumble to herself occasionally.

Watari rolls over a cart, filled with various sweets, ranging from cake, to donuts, to macaroons.

L takes a slice of cake with a strawberry on top, and a cup of tea with sugar on the side. As he stirs in his sugar, he notices shuffling across for him.

Katelyn is sitting straight up, with one of her legs under her, her squinted eyes on the cart.

•••

Once I notice his eyes trained on me, I look down at my lap. I'm a complete idiot for staring at a cart of sweets.

But they just look so good.

Only now do I realize how hungry I am.

"Would you like something to eat?" It's as if he read my mind.

Or seen me staring.

I nod my head, "Please."

He grabs a piece of cake, and starts to move from his seat. "Ac-actually," I stutter, "May I have the bowls of strawberries?"

He sets down the plate, and picks up the bowl of fresh fruit. Standing, he motions me to come to the couch, and places the bowl on the coffee table. I outstretch my wrists, assuming he will take off the cuffs, but without looking, he sits down on the couch.

Putting my confusion aside, I gently take a seat as well, still holding my wrists out. He again ignores me, and instead reaches for a strawberry, and begins to bring it to my face.

I lean away from it, my face twisted into utter confusion. "What are you doing?!" I blurt out, my face becoming hot while looking at the strawberry in horror.

"Giving you a strawberry." His deep voice is calm and even.

"You are not feeding me! Just take these off!" I hold out my arms as far as the chain around my waist will allow to me, which isn't very much.

"I'm afraid I can't do that. Not until I know exactly who you are."

"But I already told you who I am. What if you just take off the left cuff? Would that be okay? It's not my dominant hand."

He lowers the strawberry back to the bowl.

"Okay. Stand up." He sighs out.

"Stand up? Why?"

"So I can pat you down."

In that moment, I look like Rudolph's big red nose. I feel myself blush, one that reaches my ears. I turn my head down toward my lap, allowing my hair to fall in front of my face.

"Eh, that's okay. I changed my mind." I nearly whisper out.

Then, my stomach makes the loudest growl I've ever heard from it. I pull my arms to my stomach, but if I could reach my face, my head would be in my hands out of sheer embarrassment.

I feel the couch shift beside me, indicating that he has returned to his sitting position. My face cools down, and I feel comfortable enough to raise my head, and relax my shoulders against the back cushion.

He once again reaches for the bowl, and takes a piece of the fruit. "Katelyn, don't be so stubborn as to not eat." He says my name for the first time since I've met him.

"It's not that, it's just... embarrassing." I mutter, not making eye contact.

I hear him sigh. "Are you hungry?"

"Yes.." I finally answer.

"Okay. What do normal people do when they're hungry?"

I press my lips into a line and give him a side glance.

"..... they eat." I mutter out begrudgingly.

He brings it up to my mouth.
"That's right. So just eat the strawberry."

I slightly turn my head toward him, and glance at him through strands of hair.

I gently bring my mouth closer to the red fruit, and open it just enough to take a small bite.

•••

All L can do is watch, as she timidly opens her mouth, before placing her lips around the sweet fruit, taking the first bite.

From the growl of her stomach, he knew the woman must be hungry. But he didn't trust her enough to take the handcuffs off.

•••

I feel the strawberry seeds against my tongue as I bite into the sweet fruit, the wonderful juice bringing life to my tastebuds. After chewing as quietly as possible, I swallow and take another bite, not being as cautious when I do so, due to just wanting another sweet mouthful.

After about ten minutes, I finish all but a handful of strawberries.

This is going to be a long day...