Chapter 22: Consider Every Option

The sun gently warms Katelyns face as she takes the moment to absorb it's rays. Today is one of those rare times when the weather is perfect. Not too hot, but not too cool.

She can't believe she's managed to convince L to agree to her suggestion. Yet here they are, both standing on the tennis court in the park.

Although, she thinks it could have something to do with what she said to him.

•••

"No. There's far too much work to be done. Besides, you should be wrapping up that last case you asked for." L says pointedly.

"I'm just saying it might be a good idea if you're going to play against Light. Plus I'm nearly finished with that case. I've been working on it all week."

"The answer is no." He says smoothly, not bothering to look toward her.

She begins to pout, but stops before a mischievous grin creeps across her face, "Oooooh. Okay. I get. Don't worry."

He stills, and makes it a point to come face-to-face with her, "What do you get?"

"Well..." she shrugs, "I understand if you're afraid I'll win." Pushing out her bottom lip, she gives him a fake look of pity, "Don't feel bad. Not everyone can play as well as I can, I understand that."

"If you think this childish ploy is going to work-"

"Oh no! Please," Eyes closed, she raises a hand, cutting him off as she continues her pity filled speech, "don't burden yourself with such things. Just save yourself the embarrassment of having to admit defeat."

She pauses to peak. Opening on eye she sees him standing to his feet.

"Be ready in five minutes."

•••

"Ready?" Across the court, L bounces the tennis ball off the ground to prepare for his serve.

Katelyn widens her stance, ready to dart after the ball, "Yup."

A few more bounces, and L tosses the ball up and strikes it with his racket.

She hadn't expected him to hit it so furiously, but manages to bash it back across the court, just out of Ls reach.

"15 love." She calls out in a cocky tone.

L tosses her the ball, "Do you play regularly?"

"No, but you know what they say: He who hesitates," she snaps, "disintegrates."

The ball is served and the punt echos across the wide court as the two return the ball to each other until one either misses or it hits out of bounds.

She hadn't expected L to be as good as he is, especially give his slouch in posture. But to her surprise, he seems rather athletic.

L returns the ball to the opposite side of the court Katelyn is on, and she had no chance of hitting it as it bounces off the ground.

"Game. I win." L says rather proudly.

An exaggerated groan pushes its way past her lips.

"Best two out of three."

•••

With sweat beaded on her brow, and a hand on her hip, Katelyn's chest quickly rises and falls as she takes in air.

The final blow has knocked her out of her victory, even after having won the second round the two had played.

L takes shuffled steps toward her.

"I didn't expect you to be so competitive." He says once reaching her.

"Yeah, I don't try to be. But even a game of charades can get me riled up."

He hums, "Regardless, I believe it's time you admit defeat."

They begin walking off the court.

"Psht," she scoffs, "yeah right, bite me." She says in defiance, a grin plastered on her face.

L glances at the feisty girl from the corner of his eye, amused by the unintentional boldness of her words.

His lip twitches up into a smile, "I usually resort to kicking."

Her mouth falls open, offended he would even suggest kicking her.

"But..." he says, almost mumbling,

"I suppose biting is a viable option."

———
A/N: Bonus points if you got the reference 😄