Chapter 25: We've Met Before

"If you hadn't been with him..." Katelyn offers a small smile to the older woman, "Please, is there anything I can do to repay you?"

"I appreciate it but don't worry, ma'am. I'm just glad everything is okay."

Katelyn glances over Mrs. Yagami's shoulder at the chief, him being hooked to various monitors along with the IV they had given him when they first arrived at the hospital.

"Are you sure? I should insist."

"Come now, she said it wasn't necessary." Katelyn nods in agreement with her technical boss, as his wife locks eyes with him, his features softening.

"It's okay. But if you or your daughter should ever need anything, I'd be more than happy to oblige."

The softness of the calm atmosphere is broken, and the three turn their attention to the door as it swings open, revealing the boy whom Katelyn knows to be Kira, along with L.

Shit. Hopefully Light doesn't recognize her from the convenient store.

"Light, thank goodness." The woman rushes to hug her son.

Katelyn stiffens under Ls calculating gaze, which lingers on her form before landing on Mr. Yagami.

"Dad. Are you alright?" The teenager asks his father. The mother and himself go to his bedside.

"Everything is fine." His tired eyes land on his wife, "Dear, if you could give us some privacy."

The woman lightly clutches her jacket, "Right. Of course." She gives him a quick peck "I'll see you tomorrow. Call if you need anything." She turns to Katelyn, who is standing further into the room, by the window, "And thank you again."

"Here, let me walk you out."

Before Katelyn can move, L's monotone voice cuts through the room. "Actually," he says from the chair closets to the door, "I'd like you to stay. Please accept my apologies, Mrs. Yagami."

When the door shuts behind the woman, a tingle creeps up Katelyn's spin. The room becomes blanketed in an uneasy silence. She swallows the lump in her throat as she ignores the feeling of eyes on her.

"You know this woman, Ryuga?" Her gaze shifts immediately to the boy beside him.

See, Katelyn was to be long gone before Light made it to the hospital. But after seeing Mrs. Yagami in her panicked state once arriving at the hospital, she comforted her in any way possible. Also, she hadn't expected the teen to be so quick. Given the situation, it only makes sense.

She glances nervously at the detective. After all this time, Katelyn thought she could read the detective fairly easy. His dead stare and unmoving eyes tell her nothing though. Again, it's understandable seeing that he's been with a suspect.

"I do. This is Kate Ellis. She's a part of the Kira task force."

"Light," everyone turns to the chief, "She was with me when the attack came on. Had it not been for her, I'd be dead most likely."

Light stands, and bows toward the woman, "Then I could never thank you enough, Kate. Please accept my greatest gratitude."

"Of course." She plasters on a smile not reaching her eyes.

Light retakes his seat, "So doctors think stress was the only cause?" He asks his father.

"Yes. At first, I thought it was Kira but I guess I've been working myself too hard."

Katelyn, leaning against the window frame, arms folded, watches the three. Mainly Light. What better time than now to put her new skills to the test. If she could even call them skills. When she thinks of her skill set, they're things she excels in. Things she's confident about. Analyzing body language? She's definitely not confident in that.

"Indeed. It must've added to your stress knowing that Light was a suspect in the investigation."

"You actually told my father that?"

"Yes. In fact, I've told him everything. It's true he even knows that I am L."

A brief display of frustration crosses Light's face before he turns surprised toward his dad, "It's true. This man is L, and he works with us on the task force." He says to the boy.

A wide-eyed expression of surprise reveals itself on the teen's face, before he turns himself to L once again. Regaining control of his features, he narrows his eyes at the man beside him, while L seemingly pays no attention. But Katelyn knows better than that.

For nearly half a minute, Light stares at him, eyes narrowing more each passing second.

What the hell?

"So..." Mr. Yagami breaks the silence, causing the teen to look at his dad, "is my son cleared as a suspect?"

"When I say I suspect him, you should know it's very minor."

At L words, Katelyn's brow knits. His suspicion of Light is only minor?

It has to be more.

She listens as L explains the purpose of twelve FBI agents, their deaths, and how Raye Penber's was especially peculiar.

"I understand," Light crosses his arms, "and I was one of the people Raye Penber was investigating before he died. It only makes sense I'd be a suspect. In fact, there is no else you could suspect."

Damn.

Light is convincing, Katelyn must admit, even if only to herself. It's no surprise the other detectives never allow themselves to think he's Kira.

To become Kira? How could a person go so wrong?

"Ryuga, I'd like to help with the investigation. My father has erased any doubts I had regarding your identity. I'd also like to catch Kira and prove once and for all that I'm not him."

It's amazing how someone can lie with such ease. To say something false with such confidence must be something you're born with. Oh, how the woman wishes she had even a fraction of that confidence. Not to lie to others, but just for whatever life might throw her way. Like the predicament now she can't seem to solve.

"Besides, don't you remember my promise to you dad? That if anything happened to you, I would find Kira and make sure he gets executed."

The chief's face softens, and it takes every ounce of willpower for her not to hard roll her eyes. If Light had her doubting before, they're all erased. The proclamation is so cheesy and predictable a deaf man would know it's an act.

Again, they're interrupted by the door, "Excuse me but visiting hours were over ten minutes ago." A young nurse around Katelyn's age says.

After goodbyes and an awkward silence through the hospital, the three walk out of the main entrance.

Before they get far, Light begins to plead with L, practically begging to somehow prove he isn't Kira. He even goes as far to offer suggestions such as locking him up with no access to outside media but L refuses. No surprise there.

"I understand." He says, "Well, I look forward to working with you. And you too Kate." Light smiles as L gets into the car, leaving the woman with him.

"Sure, you too."

"It's nice to finally put a name to your face. I never would've imagined I'd see you again under these circumstances."

Fuck. Of course he remembers.

"Small world, isn't it?" Her smile is puckered as she tries to keep her face relaxed, "until next time, Light."

More than relieved, she walks around the car and gets in beside L, and the boy watches the black car drive off into the night.

"Well, isn't she the strange one?" A guttural, scratching voice says behind the teen before it starts chuckling.

"What are you talking about Ryuk?"

Ryuk doesn't answer but only begins to cackle, "Interesting."

Light grits his teeth, "Let's just go."

What's this damned Shinigami not telling him?