October Fun-Yays One Shot

A/N:
This is just a random Halloween chapter that is completely out of place from the other chapters. More of like a one shot I guess. But I'll probably move it to a better place during editing.
Enjoy! ☺️😈

Okay, maybe Katelyn had taken things a bit too far. Maybe she was distracting the others. Maybe she should have been more focused on the case... at least, that's what L thought.

Thanks to the Halloween spirit Katelyn's felt recently, she thought she would jump scare the others at task force headquarters. For the past two weeks she had been watching, waiting for an opportunity to scare each and every person at task force, with L being the only one that was unsuccessful. She even managed to get a reaction out of Light, but L had remained stoic as ever.

That only made her more determined.

Of course she needed to catch him completely off guard, but when was the man never vigilant?

It was rare, but Katelyn thought the best time would be when L went to his room. It had to be when he was entering, not exiting the room. Since no one goes in there —the exceptions being L, and Katelyn twice— he wouldn't expect it.

And that's exactly what she did. Earlier in the day, Katelyn had snagged Ls phone, in hopes that when he realized it was missing, he would look for it in his room. Which he did, eventually.

After what seemed like an eternity of Katelyn crouching by the door, she heard the faint sound of feet patting closer before the knob began to twist.

With a creek of the door opening, "BOO!!!" She jumps up from her spot, but still no reaction.

"Aw. I thought I got you that time." She whined.

"No. Now my phone please." Clearly unamused, he holds out his hand.

"Oh. Okay then." She pulls the flip phone from her back pocket, and hands it over.

He moves aside, indicating for her to come out into the hallway. When she does, he shuts his bedroom door and begins walk away without speaking.

"Are... you mad at me babe?"

L stops at the mention of his pet name Katelyn had given to him. Was he mad that he had to stop work on an very important investigation, during its most crucial point, to look for his phone —a phone used frequently to make and receive calls regarding said investigation?

A quiet sigh passed through his nose, "No I'm not angry." L spoke as he looked back over his shoulder, "But you've been distracting everyone at headquarters with your antics, and we all must stay focused on the case. Including you."

Katelyn's brows furrowed slightly, "Right, of course. I..." she cleared her throat, "sorry."

Katelyn watched L leave down the hall before she turned to go to her room.

•••

After having thought through the events of earlier and the past few weeks, Katelyn realizes it hasn't been a great time for goofing around. She didn't mean to distract, or... if she did, it was a distraction meant for herself and not the others.