Chapter 24: A Heart-Stopping Time

Katlyn again pulls down the black pencil skirt that had been given to her (along with the rest of her outfit), getting annoyed that the article of clothing refuses to stay resting on her hips.

"Are you sure about this?" The apprehension clear in her voice as she looks to the older man.

"It's fine," Mr. Yagami says, "Ryuzaki and I had discussed it before hand. We both agreed a visit to the Deputy Director wouldn't be an issue for concern."

Not only was she surprised when L told her she would be going with the man, but shocked to learn L already had something she could wear. When she told the detective she didn't have clothes appropriate for a meeting with the director, L had expected she would say that, and informed her Watari had taken care of it.

What she hated was that he spent his money to buy them. It isn't because he bought them. It wouldn't matter if it was Ashley, or the richest person in the world. Katelyn isn't looking for hand outs. From no one. This only solidifies the fact that she needs to be working.

"I still can't believe she's going." Aizawa mutters begrudgingly beside the older man.

Rotating her foot, she quickly examines her shoe.

I can't believe he bought this shit, she inwardly grumbles.

The man in question is on the far end of the room, still typing away on his computer, his back turned to the rest.

"You and me both." Katelyns says. Her lips pull up into a cheeky grin at the irritable man, "Finally something we agree on."

Nothing could make her understand why the curly-headed man was so hostile towards her, even after all this time. This lead to Katelyn either completely ignoring him, or looking for his acceptance.

"Seems like you're growing on him." Matsuda nudges her chuckling. The both giggle at Aizawa's expense. His dark hair falls over his eyes, as the sound of her laughter brings a soft pink the y0ung officers cheeks.

Aizawa huffs, and shakes his head before he continues his work.

The ringing of a phone grabs their attention. Across the room, L reaches into his pocket and answers. Without a word, he hangs up and stands to his feet, shuffling toward the group.

"That was Watari. Both vehicles are ready for us." L informs the two, "And remember, you're there to observe."

Katelyn straightens her shoulders, "Got it."

"However, in the event that something were to happen, I've had these made for you."

From his pocket, L pulls out a digital wrist watch, and an ID badge. "This will allow us to monitor your location. If you find yourself in trouble, press the face of the watch three times. It is for emergencies only."

She takes the ID, "I thought there was no reason for concern?" She asks, wrapping the watch straps around her wrist to fasten it. She looks up to see his ebony eyes already fixed on her.

"It's simply a precautionary measure."

"If you say so." She shrugs, "Good luck with your match, by the way." She winks.