Two - Debut

It had been a week since my arrival to Grosvenor Square. I had mostly confined myself to my room, attempting not to disturb anyone or disrupt anything. I did however make an appearance at meal times and quietly enjoy Eloises' company.

My week long hibernation did eventually had come to an end as the social season was afoot.

Lily assisted me, preparing me for my debut. My mother had always taught me to walk with confidence and to never falter in my step. I remembered when I was just 5 years of age when my mother taught me how to walk like a proper lady. I did not remember a great deal from my childhood, but I did remember her smile when I was able to balance the book a top my head. She could not wait for me to meet a gentleman and fall in love. I just wished she could guide me now, when I needed her the most. I took comfort in believing she was watching me. I hoped she was proud.

'This gown is so very elegant Lizzie,' Lily chimed. My mother had helped pick out my gown just before her and my fathers trip. It felt like she was hugging me, just like she always did. I knew in that moment that however devastating it was for her not to be stood beside me, I would still be walking alongside her in this dress. 'Are you sure you are ready for this?'

'I am the most ready I have ever been.'

-

I was almost finished getting ready when I walked over to my mothers jewellery box, I had placed on my dresser. Opening the box, I spotted my mothers diamond tear drop necklace. It was a wedding present from my father. She only ever wore it on special occasions.

'It is beautiful,' Lily peered over my shoulder. 'She adored that necklace.'

'Indeed she did, it's a great shame it is now forever confined to a box.' I spoke sadly. She had always worn it on my birthdays, promising one day she would gift it to me. How long ago that felt.

'You should wear it Miss,' Lily suggested quietly. She knew it was a sensitive topic of conversation. 'She would have wanted you to wear it.'

I examined the necklace carefully, it was simple yet elegant. It was silent yet just loud enough to be noticed. It was perfect up close and from afar. Just like my mother, beautiful on the inside as well as the outside.

In that moment I made the decision to wear it, in honour of her. 'Lily, would you be so kind as to fix the clasp at the back for me,' I spoke holding the necklace around my bare neck.

'Of course.' Lily quickly fastened the clip, gently laying the necklace down on the back of my neck.

I continued to look at myself in the small vanity mirror. I looked complete.

Turning around I watched Lily's expression.

'You look positively beautiful Elizabeth,' there was a long pause. 'You look just like her,' she smiled genuinely with a sad look in her blue eyes.

Before speaking another word I embraced Lily in a warm hug, when suddenly there was a knock at the door.

'Come in,' I called, releasing Lily.

The door slowly opened, 'Are you nearly ready, Miss Newton?' Colin questioned in a soft tone.

'Quite ready, my Lord. I was just about to leave, perhaps you would accompany me downstairs.'