Sixteen - Unexpected

-Anthony-

After the evenings events, I was conflicted. I had feelings for Elizabeth... but I couldn't find the courage to express them.

The smug look on Bassett's face only enraged me and I knew that even if I didn't currently possess the courage to make my feelings known, I had too. I had to tell her. For I would rather bare the flames of the scorching sun then let her slip away into another gentleman's arms.

When we arrived back home, I escaped to the study and instantly loosened my collar. I needed some time alone to formulate a plan, to organise my racing thoughts... which were all consumed by Elizabeth.

Just as I sat down, enjoying the quiet of my study, the door creaked open revealing an unsure Colin. I was surprised to see him so late in the evening. He usually disappeared to his bedroom after any evening events.

'Are you okay Colin?' I asked my brother. His uncertain stance made me anxious.

'I need to ask you something...' he trailed off unable to make eye contact with me. He looked nervous, scared even and I wondered what had him acting so uncharacteristically.

'Ask away,' I encouraged, gesturing for him to take a seat, sensing this was a matter of importance.

He quickly sat in the armchair opposite me, on the other side of the desk, his hands fidgeting.

'Is something wrong?' I asked, probing for an explanation to his odd behaviour.

'No, not at all. I just have something important to ask you...' he was hesitant and I wondered what could be so important.

'I'm all ears.'

'Right. Well... I should have planned what to say before I disturbed you...' he looked down at his hands and then back up to me. 'I believe I have found the woman I want to marry.'

I stared at my brother in bewilderment.

'Well, who is this mystery lady?' I asked. It was my duty to know my brothers business and to make sure he didn't do anything irrational or foolish.

His eyes met mine and I could see that he was a bundle of nerves.

'She is quite the opposite of a mystery... That's what I like most about her.' he looked off into the distance adoringly. 'She's kind, absolutely gorgeous, she's funny without ever being mean and above all... she's honest. I never feel like I have to pretend who I am with her.' I could see his eyes light up as he spoke about her and I was shocked to see how effected he was by this girl.

'You really like this girl,' I stated plainly.

'More than I can express... If I loved her any less, I might be able to talk about it more.'

'Then you must tell me who it is. Which girl is it that has captured your heart?' I was apprehensive but also empathetic to his situation. Elizabeth had a tight hold on my heart and I knew despite my best efforts, I got flustered around her. I had always been self-assured, but when it came to her I wasn't so sure anymore. Suddenly my thoughts were consumed by her, and I found myself constantly worrying if I could ever be good enough for her.