Thirteen - Another Ball

The evening that followed, I found myself attending another ball. The hall itself was brightly lit, with a dazzling chandelier that hung in the centre of the room.

It pleased me to see Daphne in such high spirits considering everything that had happened. She just continued to act as though nothing had happened. I was not so fortunate, the memory of Lord Berbrooke haunted me and I feared of potentially similar occurrences in the future with other suitors.

Having received no proposal, and Daphne having rejected three in the last week, I was feeling low. I did not wish to be proposed too, at least not from a gentleman I hardly knew, I just wanted that sense of security one feels knowing a gentleman is interested. It was difficult to decipher at times whether Anthony truly liked me, or if he had no intention of marrying at all.

Either way, I needed to broaden my horizons, even if I didn't want to. I felt bad enough, feeling like an intruder in their home, I could not bare to wait til the next social season.

I needed to find a husband.

I spent the majority of the evening dancing with Colin. He had asked for a dance, which unsurprisingly led to four.

I felt so comfortable around him. He made me feel at ease, even with small things, like not having to worry about messing up my footwork whilst dancing. Instead he would just grin in an adoring way and stop me from falling.

Looking into Colin's eyes, I felt safe. I felt as if the crowds of people around us faded into the distance and it was just the two of us, dancing and laughing as we floated across the dance floor.

From across the room, I noticed Daphne and Simon dancing, seemingly in the middle of a hushed discussion. It almost seemed business like. As though they were negotiating the terms of a trade deal. I though it most peculiar but chose to ignore it, dismissing it as my own wrongful interpretation of the scene.

Drawing my attention back to him, Colin whispered, 'When do you think he will propose?' He was referring to the Duke. I could feel his hot breath against my bare neck, his words only loud enough for me to hear. This simple act alone was enough for my body to erupt in goosebumps, not only from the warmth of his breath travelling down my spine, but I found myself increasingly aware of his proximity.

Although our closeness startled me at first, leaving me breathless, I soon found myself enjoying it. Unable to pull away.

His question held an ulterior meaning and I could tell that he knew what effect he had on me. At the thought, I could feel my cheeks burning up. Trying my best to disguise it, I tilted my head downward so that I was faced with the collar of his coat.

'He would be foolish not to propose soon. Daphne has already had three offers this week, each rejected. I fear if he does not commit soon, she may accept a different gentleman's offer. After all, she cannot wait forever for him to propose.' I told truthfully, knowing Colin would favour my honesty.

Once I had finished talking, Colin pulled back slightly and I immediately missed his closeness. I had began to worry I had said something wrong, when Colin's eyes twinkled and he gave me a warm smile.

'I did not mean to offend. I simply meant that I hope the Duke would propose to Daphne soon, before it is too late-' I began to ramble, but stopped when I saw Colin's smile reach his eyes. A look of what appeared to be hope etched into his bright blue eyes.

'What is it?' I asked dumbfounded, unable to figure out what had shifted his mood so suddenly.

'Nothing of concern,' he informed, his eyes boring into my own.

I did not know how long Colin and I had been looking at each other, but the moment was interrupted as Daphne began walking swiftly toward me.

'I am to go to tea with the Duke tomorrow,' she beamed, clearly not having noticed the tension.

Breaking apart from Colin instantly, I turned to look at Daphne. Colin's hand dropped from my back, whilst with his other untangling our interlocked hands. I wasn't able to think clearly, an overwhelming wave of giddiness hitting me.

'That is fantastic news, Daphne,' I blurted, hoping in my intoxicated state of being in such close proximity to Colin, that I had heard her properly.

'Indeed it is,' Colin agreed.

'Brother, do you mind if I steal Elizabeth away for a little while? I hoped to speak with her privately,' Daphne asked Colin in a pleading tone.

'Of course not, I'm sure Miss Newton could use a rest from all this dancing anyway,' He told Daphne, giving me a bright smile.

Walking away with Daphne, I could feel Colin's eyes burning on my back. Sneaking a look behind, I spotted him. He blushed and turned on his heel, advancing toward Benedict, having realised he had been caught.

'What did you wish to speak about?' I asked Daphne, wondering what was so important.

'You must promise to me, that you will speak only the truth and spare judgement...' she paused, searching for confirmation on my face. I nodded at her reassuringly. 'Do you think it wise for me to entertain the Duke? We have all heard from Anthony, that the Duke does not intend on marrying. Not ever...' She paused once again, before continuing, 'What I am really asking is... if I hypothetically set up a deal with the Duke for us to fake an attachment, in order for me to seem more desirable to other suitors and for him to finally get away from prying mothers... and I hypothetically developed certain feelings for the Duke, what should I do?' She sounded breathless and from her tone, I knew this scenario to be anything but 'hypothetical'.

'Daphne, speak to me plainly. Are you telling me that you are appearing to everyone else as having formed an attachment with the Duke, but in realty you are not courting at all, and you have now developed feelings for him?' I was astonished.

'Yes.'

'Daphne!' I exclaimed, accidentally having gained the attention of surrounding guests.

'Hush!' She scolded. 'What do I do?' Her voice was low and pleading.

A part of me felt bad for her. Her entire family believed she was soon to be proposed to by a Duke, but in reality it was all an elaborate ruse.

'Are you absolutely certain of your feeling for the Duke?' I questioned in a hushed tone.

'Positive,' she paused, 'He consumes my every waking thought, every dream. He consumes my thoughts entirely.' Her voice was strained and from the apparent look of sadness in her eyes, I knew she had fallen for the Duke. What did worry me though, was her getting hurt. Even the desperation in her voice was enough to break my heart.

'I wish I could be of more use,' I told. I felt helpless as I looked at her. A cloud of hopelessness shadowing Daphne's expression. 'Perhaps appearing unavailable will spark a jealousy within the Duke...' I theorised, desperately trying to come up with a solution.

'It is no use. I doubt the Duke even returns my affections,' she whispered, her voice full of woe.

'I am so sorry, Daphne.'

(A/N): I hope you enjoyed this chapter!
Lots of drama to come and a lot more Anthony.
I hope you're enjoying the story so far and thank you all so much for your continuous support, it means so much to me!