Twelve - A Solution

In the carriage ride home, a silence hung heavily among Eloise, Colin, Benedict and I. Each of us, afraid to break it.

Not a single word was spoken the entire journey and we soon found ourselves back at Grosvenor Square, piling out of the carriage one after the other.

In the house, I saw Daphne throwing the flowers she had been given into a large basket, already overflowing with other bouquets. I could see the pain that lingered in her eyes as she quietly sniffled.

I was about to approach Daphne when her mother walked into the room. 'Elizabeth, Rose, can you leave us for a moment?' Her voice was strained and I couldn't begin to imagine how she was feeling. Her eldest daughter being practically forced into a marriage with an insufferable man. It was nothing short of devastating.

-

That night as I laid in my bed, I was tormented by the events of the day. My mind making it impossible to escape from.

Unable to sleep, I used my time racking my brain for potential solutions. Perhaps if he were to be involved in a scandal, he would have no choice but to withdraw from the marriage... I pondered, desperately grasping at any idea, I thought would help Daphne.

Before long, my exhausted state took hold of me and I was engulfed into a deep sleep.

-

The following morning, Lady Berbrooke arrived for tea. She was a plump woman, short in stance, mirroring that of her son. She wore a brightly coloured gown, accompanied with a matching head piece, that sat on her nest of curly hair atop her head.

As Lady Berbrooke made her leave, I walked into the drawing room with a novel clasped tight in my hands. I had been tense all day, unable to relax at the previous days distressing events.

'What have you found?' Lady Bridgerton asked Rose eagerly, once Lady Berbrooke had left.

Daphne and I shared a confused expression, unknowing of her mother's scheme.

'What is going on?' Daphne interrupted quietly. It was clear that her meeting with Lady Berbrooke had dampened her spirits, even more than I thought possible.

'You could not think I'd ask that woman for tea without a thought for you, could you?' Lady Bridgerton asked in an obvious tone, turning to face her daughter. 'The help hears everything, as we all know.' Without another word she eagerly faced Rose.

'She had heard a good deal, in fact,' Rose paused, looking at each one of us in turn, to add suspense. 'Lord Berbrooke has a boy by one of his maids that he refused to provide for.'

I involuntarily raised my hand to my mouth in shock. He truly was a disgusting man.

'Sent the maid and child away to live off scraps,' Rose continued.

'Horrible man,' the housekeeper added, horrified by the news.

'Horrible enough for us to be rid of him, let us pray,' Lady Bridgerton chimed whilst Rose stared back at her with a proud look on her face.

'Well, he-- He will only deny it. And who will believe a group of women over a man's word?' Daphne questioned, turning on her heel to walk around the room.

'Perhaps no one. But they will if Lady Whistledown does. So we shall do what women do,' Lady Bridgerton began.

'We shall talk,' I blurted out, the pieces finally falling into place.

It was the perfect idea.

That same day, the five of us did our best to subtly spread the news. Before long, everyone in town was talking about it.

-

'It has come to this author's attention that the ton is abuzz with a most sordid tale. It is said one cannot judge a book by its cover. But in the case of the bumbling Baron Berbrooke, it seems his displeasing appearance is quite an apt metaphor for the state of affairs in his household. I would not be surprised if Lord Berbrooke were called away to the country on alleged business... Business which, perhaps, might involve sending some much overdue funds to one former maid and young boy, who we can only hope takes after his mother.' I read Lady Whistledown's paper aloud in the drawing room. Lady Bridgerton, Daphne and I, shared triumphant smiles. Lady Bridgerton's plan had worked.

-

Later that evening as the three of us resided in the drawing room, Lady Bridgerton practising her needlework whilst Daphne and I sat opposite one another, the both of us reading, when Anthony strolled through the large double doors.

'I have heard talk that Berbrooke has left town,' he paused, a brief look of humour on his face. 'I think this solution to our problem did not come about by chance,' he continued, smiling at his mother, then at me. His smile was not broad and bright, but rather subtle and genuine. Walking closer to us he relaxed his posture, 'I am resolved to handle matters differently in the future.'

I couldn't help but stare at him. He had his sleeves rolled up, revealing his strong arms. His waistcoat was a beautiful deep blue colour, but it looked less polished in the warm light. Despite this appearing less distinguished, I liked seeing him in more relaxed clothes, he looked comfortable and above all, relaxed, which was a welcome change.

His mother looked at him with a bright smile. 'For Daphne,' she told, motioning to her embroidery. 'Tulips,' she continued, 'they symbolise passion... Perhaps your bride would like the same,' she quipped and in an instant, I saw Anthony glance at me, albeit momentarily.

My cheeks flushed a bright red and I averted my gaze swiftly back to the book planted in my hands.

'Goodnight, Mother,' he bowed his head, before turning to face Daphne, 'Sister,' he bowed his head once again, until finally he faced me. 'Elizabeth,' he stared at me for a moment, slowly bowing his head one last time. His eyes were burning into mine as he continued to make eye contact. I was powerless under his gaze. I was frozen, unable to tear my eyes away from his deep brown ones. Although I couldn't, I didn't want to look away either.

The moment was soon interrupted though when his mother cleared her throat.

Anthony quickly tearing his eyes away from mine, a look of disappointment flashing across them as he made his way out of the room.

(A/N): Thank you all so much for your patience. If you didn't see on my message board, I had been in hospital and was too unwell to write. However, I am now feeling a lot better and I aim to post much more frequently, from now on.
Thank you once again for all the support on this story, it truly means the world to me and I can't put into words how much I appreciate it!
I hope you enjoyed this chapter!