Ten - Boxing

-Anthony-

I left the house surrounded by a cloud of frustration. Daphne had been ungrateful. She needed a husband, and it was my job to find her one, Lord Berbrooke was just a convenience. I knew Daphne would not agree to the match, but in truth there was no fault in the gentleman, other than his unfavourable looks, he was a true gentleman, and being a true gentleman, I knew he would treat my sister well.

Although my blood boiled, a feeling of guilt scratched away at me. It was Elizabeth. The look of disappointment she gave me, although I would never admit it, broke me. She had this unexplainable hold over me. Her beautiful deep brown eyes held such a purity... an innocence. I was hypnotised.

She was the complete opposite of what I had expected that first day I barged into the house. She did not only have a natural beauty, she had a kind heart and I wished to protect that heart from the cruelness of society. She had clearly lived a somewhat sheltered life, and I dreaded the thought of some Lord marrying her and snatching that innocent light away from her. I would never forgive myself.

My frustration however, only grew as I thought of Elizabeth marrying some other gentleman.

I couldn't think clearly, so I went to the only place I could think of... I had to find the Duke.

-

'Might I have a word?' I asked angrily, storming into the dimly lit gym I knew the Duke had been practising in. I watched agitated as the two men in the ring circled one another.

'Have as many as you like, Bridgerton,' Simon told not bothering to look at me.

His lack of attention infuriated me more and I circled the ring to face him, 'Are you going to come down here, or must I come up there?'

The two were panting like dogs, throwing punches, until the larger gentleman excused himself, clearly sensing my hostility.

I took the opportunity to climb into the ring, separating the ropes with my hands to create a gap for me to fit through. When I finally steadied myself, Simon took a defensive stance and soon, before I could process my thoughts, I swung at him. My fist narrowly missing his face as he ducked his head, sending a punch to my right side. I groaned in pain.

'Well? What seems to be so urgent?' Simon asked nonchalantly.

'I'd like to know what was going through your head last night and this morning,' I told him as we circled each other.

'You will have to be more precise. A great deal goes on in a mind as quick as mine.' His arrogance only angered me more.

'Are you courting my sister?' I questioned sternly.

'Should I not be courting your sister?' He evaded the question.

'No. And I can think of dozens of reasons why, starting with, 'She is my sister,' and ending with, 'She is already engaged to be married,'' I dodged one of Simon's jabs, 'and then perhaps circling back to, 'She is my sister.'' This time I made sure not to miss and my clenched fist swiftly collided with his left cheek.

Simon tumbled backward, shielding his face from any further injury. His friend laughing on the bench below us.

'I was unaware of an engagement. Have the banns been read, then?' He asked defensively.

'I assure you all the formal preparations are underway. I have arranged everything with Nigel Berbrooke, having given him my word,' I informed, my words seeming to only anger him.

'So you have struck something squarely. Your problem is that Berbrooke is an unworthy suitor for Miss Bridgerton,' He argued, sending a second punch to my stomach.

'He is perfectly decent,' I defended, clutching my stomach for a moment. 'He is never seen going in and out of brothels, at least. I even know where he's been the past few years, right here in London. As opposed to some gambling hell, or backwater slum wherever it was you chose to fuck about for God knows whatever reason.' I was panting heavily and moving closer so that I was face to face with Simon.

He was quiet for a moment. I took this as a signal to leave, feeling triumphant as I believed I had silenced him.

'Nigel Berbrooke is hardly a saint.'

I turned on my heal, once more approaching him. 'You are and have long been a good friend. The best, really. But this is my sister-' He cut me off.

'Then you should not mind if I were to spend more time with Miss Newton. The lovely girl you hide away,' he explained. 'It is a pity. She is one of the most beautiful debutante's in London.'

Anger engulfed me once more and I clenched my fists, trying to control my temper. 'That is different.'

'How is it? If I am unable to court your sister, then I should at least be able to court the lovely Elizabeth,' he paused, his tone was mocking as if he knew what buttons to push. 'What is it with you and that girl? You cannot deny you feel something for her. It's rather comical really... you coming here, preaching that I am not good enough for Daphne. I know you Anthony, I know you are not willing to get married anytime soon, especially with that opera singer so delicately wrapped around your finger. So do the decent thing and give the girl a chance to meet someone. You cannot ruin her life just because you have not figured out what it is that you want - that would be cruel. Besides, with you stepping aside, it opens up her marital prospects. I know Lord Harrington is interested, and I believe your brother to be as well.'

I was speechless. I soon believed that all the colour must have drained from my face as I stared palely at my old friend in shock.

Although I was startled by Simon's speech, I was also hurt. It felt as though someone had taken a hold of my heart and squeezed it so tightly it now ached. He was right... I did not deserve Miss Newton. She deserved to grow old with a better man than I.

Despite my shying expression, I had to know, 'My brother?'

'Colin. I believe he is quite attached to Miss Newton.'

'How could you possibly know that?' I asked disbelievingly.

'My walk with your sister this morning. Colin and Miss Newton accompanied us - they strolled not too far behind. I occasionally peaked over my shoulder to look at the pair and Colin had this look of complete adoration in his eyes whenever she spoke... only a man in love looks at a lady like that,' He informed knowingly.

'Love?' I asked meekly. I only got a slight nod in response.

I had heard enough. Without uttering another word, I climbed out of the ring and moped out of the building.

I needed to let her go...

(A/N): Thank you all so much for the support! You are all amazing! Let me know what you think of this chapter, it's the first one in Anthony's POV. Also just to clear up any confusion, Lord Harrington is an original character, just thought I would let you all know :)
And finally, could you let me know when the best time to upload is for you guys, as I realise everyone has different times they like to read <3
Thank you all so much, I hope you enjoyed this chapter!! And thank you all so so much for 50k reads, it honestly means the world to me and all your heartwarming comments and messages brighten my day, so thank you!