Twenty - The Garden

The day of the boxing match was warm and had most gentlemen of the town in a frenzy, all placing bets on their favoured boxer. I decided to accompany Daphne, both out of curiosity for the sport and to distract myself from the previous night's surprise.

'If mama knew I were here, of all places...' Daphne began as we entered the bustling room.

'Trust me she would have more to say to me than you,' Anthony told his sister truthfully. 'There's your prince now. With your fancy well in hand, I shall make myself scarce for the final blow.' He gave us both a nod, his eyes lingering on mine a moment longer before he departed to the other side of the ring.

'Are you sure you don't mind me accompanying you? I would hate to intrude on your time with the prince. It was silly of me to come.' I began to fret and fiddled with my glove in a nervous habit.

'Do not say such things. I am glad you are here, plus I know you have little interest in the prince, and I would like your help trying to figure him out. He gives even less away than the Duke,' she smiled and held my hand endearingly.

'Miss Bridgerton, Miss Newton,' he kisses both our hands before continuing, 'I am delighted to see you both here today, though surprised.' He faced Daphne, 'Though I asked your brother to bring you, so we could spend some time together, I admit I did not hold much hope.' He addressed us both again, 'Most ladies I have met cannot seem to reconcile their delicate responsibilities with the brutality of such fights.'

'You must have no sisters, Your Highness, if you think most woman delicate and mild.'

I stifled a laugh at Daphne's remark, adding 'A trip to the modiste during a silk shortage would disabuse you of such notions for good.'

We all laughed in unison.

'I suppose I have much to learn, then. I would appreciate both your expert tutelage if you would join me.'

'Of course,' Daphne informed linking our arms, 'We would be delighted.'

Making our way to our seats, I realised we were seated on the opposite side of the Bridgertons and the Duke. I also noticed stolen glances between Daphne and the Duke and only hoped the prince did not catch it too.

'Ladies and gentlemen, please take your seats! The match is to begin!' I heard the announcer call out as the bell rang.

As the match began, I witnessed the first punch and gasped at the impact, the sound of fist to cheek startled me.

'Fear not. My man is made of sterner stuff,' the prince informed me.

The cheering of the crowd as the match continued was encapsulating. Each move made by the opponents, calculated and swift. Neither one, taking this match lightly. In the background of it all I could hear the Duke shouting words of encouragement to his friend.

'Come on, Mondrich! Watch your feet!' The Duke yelled.

The crowd jeered louder with each punch thrown.

'Go on, Mondrich!' I heard Anthony shout from the opposite side of the bleachers.

Next to me, I heard Daphne and the Prince talk of children, but I was too engrossed in the match to pay attention, when suddenly Daphne shouted, 'Go on, Gillespie! Plant a facer!' I was stunned. I looked from her, to the Duke and all was made clear. She was trying to rile him.