Twenty One - Consequences

-Anthony-

'Elizabeth, go inside,' I told her. I didn't want her to witness what I was about to do.

She remained glued to the spot she was in. Simon was gasping for air beside me as I held Elizabeth's face in my hands gently, 'Elizabeth, please go inside.' My tone was pleading but she merely blinked at me. After a second, it seemed to register and she ran to the garden doors.

Tearing my gaze away from her, I turned on my heel, swiftly punching Hastings. I caught him off guard and he tumbled to the ground. I delivered another blow. Enraged with my old friend at his dishonourable behaviour. 'How dare he?' I thought, as I hit him again across the jaw.

Daphne watched the scene unfold in front of her in horror. She was unfortunately tangled up in this mess, and I dreaded to think how far things would have gone if Elizabeth and I had not caught them. Elizabeth and Elizabeth alone was the sole reason I had maintained such composure when we discovered them. If not for her, I would not have hesitated in knocking my old friend to his knees in a matter of seconds. He may be the more able and skilled fighter, but he would never understand the deadly instinct to protect ones sister.

Daphne gasped as I delivered the final blow and stepped back. Simon stubbled to his feet.

'You will marry her.' I demanded, motioning to Daphne. My blood was boiling and the rage I felt at my once friend's betrayal was immeasurable.

'What?' Daphne choked out beside me.

'Immediately.' My tone was stern, 'We can only hope no one saw you take such liberties, and my sister is saved further mortification. You will marry her!' I gritted out, pointing at Simon furiously.

'Brother!' Daphne exclaimed, looking overwhelmed.

'I cannot marry her,' Simon panted.

'You have defiled her innocence, and now you refuse her hand?' I stared at him bewildered and that's when the blaring rage inside of me took over, 'I knew you were a rake, Hastings, I never thought you a villain.' I spat out, glaring at him whilst I took step closer to him.

'I cannot marry her,' he persisted.

'Then you leave me no choice. I must demand satisfaction.'

'A duel? Anthony, you cannot-' My sister began. I did not wish to duel, in fact, it was the last thing I wanted to do, but I could not allow Simon to dishonour my sister, my family for that matter.

'He dishonours you, sister. He dishonours you and me and the very Bridgerton name,' I raged, the severity of the situation forming a pit in my stomach, 'I have misjudged you, indeed. You have duped us both, but I shall not see my sister pay for my own misdeeds. We will settle this as gentlemen.'

'I understand. I shall see you at dawn.' His weak acceptance only fuelled my rage.

'I do not understand. You would rather die than marry me?' Daphne spoke in almost a whisper, her eyes were glistening with tears.

'I am truly sorry.'

'We need to go, Daph, before anyone should see us.' I led Daphne back inside, claiming she had a headache, and that I would take her home. I saw to it that Colin gathered the rest of the family. I looked around for Elizabeth, my eyes scanning the room frantically searching for her.