21st September, 2011: CONVALESCENCE

It was Saturday and I attended my coachings. There was a test held, which I was certain that I flunked. I faced the same problem I did while giving the mock test. The only issue was, that the results would be published for my parents to see and everyone in my class would know. I desperately prayed to God- whose existence was doubtful- to help me out just once.

After the test, many made groups and discussed the answers. While I focussed on going home.

I reached my building and climbed the stairs to my home. That's when I heard loud music coming from my house. I wouldn't have minded had it been Hindi or English. But it was Korean. Rachel definitely took mom for granted as dad wasn't home.

Anyways, I wasn't any different.

I rang the doorbell for around five minutes until Rachel opened the door.

"What took you so long? Lower the volume, Rach!" I said as I entered home. I was already tired from the test and the music annoyed me. I went on, "How do you even enjoy listening to it when you don't know what it means?"

"Says the guy who is always watching animes." She snapped.

I was silent for a moment. Nevertheless, I didn't give up. "Why do you even like Korean stuff? Even I look better than those idols-"

She glared at me. Her glare was enough to shut me up.

She then spoke, "You are the science guy who scores 80%, and then goes around claiming to be better than the commerce student who scored 98%. Only because you feel you are superior."

Touche.

"That's a fact." I said, "Most of the students who took commerce, were not even eligible to take up science."

Rachel sighed. "That's because of the way our society values 'science'- hence the high cut-off. Besides, how do you expect fishes to climb a tree? Each one of us have our own unique abilities. Some do better in commerce, some do better in science, while some do better in MATHS! You shouldn't go around comparing."

When she said Maths, it did strike me at my weak spot. I wished to talk back, but I was at loss for words.

She continued, "Anyways, the point being. Koreans look different and just because you don't like their unique looks, doesn't mean you are better looking."

I lost. I never realized Rachel had such a sharp tongue. I sat down on the sofa and untied my shoe. I wondered why she got so defensive about commerce. Then a thought entered my mind.

"Rach.. Do you plan to take commerce?"

"Yes." She replied.

"But dad won't let you.. " I spoke softly.

"I know, but I don't need his permission."

I was taken aback as I heard those words. I quietly removed my shoes and socks, kept them carefully on the nearby stand, and went to my room to change my clothes. Everything she said made me wonder, what I would have chosen if it wasn't for my dad. Did I really choose the stream because I liked it or was it because of the societal standards?

Once I finished changing, Rachel entered my room and handed me my rough-book.

"Why do you have it?" I asked.

"I needed a blank page to write down stuff, that's when I took it. Sorry for returning it late, but your book was quite entertaining" She winked at me and left.

Ah, that's how my crush was found out...

I opened my book and turned the pages one by one. To my surprise, most of the pages were filled with doodles.

There was a drawing with many birds sitting in rows, one above other- which symbolized the principal, teachers, and students

There was a drawing with many birds sitting in rows, one above other- which symbolized the principal, teachers, and students. It said, "The one on top, looks down and finds shit. The one below, looks above and finds assholes."
There was also a line in hindi, which translated as "Teachers from Coaching classes sit beside us and shit along with us"

It was true, though I didn't remember writing it.

There was a caricature of Jeena advertising a lipstick, "Have beautiful lips as mine

There was a caricature of Jeena advertising a lipstick, "Have beautiful lips as mine. Use Chocolate Moco Coco. Lips as delicious as chocolate. This is the lipstick used world wide- Choco Moco coco"

*That's a real add

Kiran once made a list of various books and warned me that we should be wary of the phenomenon called 'love' and how it sucked

Kiran once made a list of various books and warned me that we should be wary of the phenomenon called 'love' and how it sucked. And like the idiot he was, he wrote 'Macbeth' instead of 'Hamlet'
*The cringy line in hindi translates as, "When you stay under one roof, you fall in love"

 And like the idiot he was, he wrote 'Macbeth' instead of 'Hamlet'*The cringy line in hindi translates as, "When you stay under one roof, you fall in love"

We once played a game which ended inappropriately.
*I am not translating that.

I laughed as I read all the nonsensical stuff we wrote- some of which actually made sense.

I closed my rough book and took out two of the Chemistry journals I had- my senior's and mine. I sat on my table and started copying everything thoroughly.

But before I began writing, I took my phone and texted Kiran.

Thanks for the Journal. I am better now, see you on Monday.