9th August, 2011: MISSED

The very next day, I didn't forget to carry 'Train to Pakistan' with me. I was determined to hand her the novel that she had requested of me. That way I could at least have a topic in common with her.
Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to initiate a conversation and give her the book in the morning.

When school was over, I hurried into the bus as soon as I could. I was the first one to arrive and I walked towards the exact seat where I sat the day before, hoping that my 'crush' would sit beside me again.
As I was moving, I saw Sanika already sitting there beside the window.

Our eyes met.

I suddenly froze, my mind went blank and I turned back, threw my school bag elsewhere and left the bus.
I guess that I was a bit nervous.
I felt frustrated as I messed up this opportunity to sit beside her, with no one else around.

But that would be awkward too.

By the time I went back, I neither found the courage to sit beside her nor did I lend her the book.

Nevertheless, I forgot all about it once I reached home and immediately got ready for my coaching classes.
It was a pain to attend school from Monday to Saturday, then have classes on Saturday and Sunday. But I didn't have a choice either as our exams were round the corner.

I entered the class and caught up with Anurag, my classmate from previous school. He was showing a picture on his phone to his group of friends, then he turned towards me-

"Hey look at her! Isn't she pretty?"

It was a picture of one of our juniors, whom he seemed to have a crush on. But what caught my attention was Sanika standing in the background. It piqued my curiosity.

"What is this about?"

"Oh.. yeah, I kind of sneaked this picture. This is our school facilitating the 10th board exam toppers. Aruna is one of them, it's sad that she isn't attending my school anymore.. I wish I could change schools."

" Isn't that Sanika? She was there too?"

"She was always expected to be among the top. I heard, even she changed her school."

"Yes, she is in Ryan now"

"Oh, is that why you were interested in her?"

I was a bit perplexed, but I denied immediately, "Nope. Just curious"

"Well, now that I look at her, she isn't bad. Why not try flirting with her?" Anurag chuckled. He seemed like he was teasing me.

How does one flirt?

I almost blurted out my thoughts, then I chose not to respond.
I never had a crush on someone before, so couldn't comprehend what I was supposed to do with it. I liked my bio teacher though. She was pretty, nice, and a mother of two. But did this count?

Meanwhile, I decided not get distracted by these idle talks. Cracking the entrance was my priority, brooding over anything else was meaningless.

Besides, what's meant to happen will happen. That's my belief.