6th September, 2011: DEJECTED

It was Sunday morning.
Mom woke up late, hence we skipped the Sunday mass. My family wasn't exactly religious or atleast didn't follow the rules seriously. We missed the mass occassionally and it wasn't a big deal.

My dad sat in the Hall and read his newspaper as usual. He took frequent pauses while reading and shared with mom the various events that occured in his office the previous week.
He was an average heighted, average built, half bald man in his late 50s. While mom was average heighted and slightly overweight woman, in her early 50s. I often wondered how my sister and I were tall, but then we took after our grandparents.

Meanwhile, Rachel and I were quietly having our breakfast.

My dad looked at me and asked, "Son, did you get any results? Your exams were conducted around a month ago right?"

I was startled. I expected this question any moment, yet I wasn't prepared to answer. I gulped down my food and said,

"Yeah... I scored 82/100 in physics, 90/100 in bio and chemistry. I am the highest in class for chemistry.."

"Good. What about maths? Any improvement in your marks?" he asked.

"I.. failed.." I mumbled. I could feel my heart in my throat.

He stared at me. Everything was still and silent for few seconds.

He turned to mom and asked, "Did you know about this?"

"No.." She looked confused.

Dad was clearly angry and disappointed. Mom seemed upset too, while Rachel was casually having her breakfast. A fuss over my score in Maths wasn't a new incident for her.

"Show me your answersheet! RIGHT NOW!" he demanded.

I scurried to my room, opened my bag, grabbed the answersheet and handed it to my father.
He went through each and every page.

"These are such simple questions!"

Easy for him to say.

"Why didn't you study? ANSWER ME!"
My father yelled while I stood infront of him with my head lowered.

"It's only a term exam... I'll do better in finals." I spoke softly.

"Listen Jacob, your marks are low because you aren't working hard enough!"

I hated how he kept repeating I didn't put enough efforts.

What does he know?

I wanted to talk back but I suppressed the urge. This wasn't the end. I also had to inform him about the stupid meeting.

"We.. also need to meet the principal."

"Why?" he asked.

"All those who failed need to meet her."

He looked at me and sighed, then left the hall. My mother walked towards me and asked, "When do we need to meet your ma'am?"

"Day after tomorrow. Between 2.00-4.00 pm"

"Okay" She took my plate and went to the kitchen.

I couldn't think straight.
I went to my room and rummaged through the books searching for physics journal or any book that could keep me occupied and away from my thoughts.

Why does he keep saying I am not studying?

Is he blind?

It hurts me too, I don't enjoy failing.

I found the journal, opened it and began writing my assignment. Even before I realized, my eyes were filled with tears and my nose was blocked.

Ugh! Just ignore everything and concentrate on completing the journal.