8th September, 2011: OLD HAG

Tuesday arrived.
After my lunch break , I left my class and waited for my mother infront of our school entrance. Not many had come for the meeting. Either they were late or they skipped it.
As soon as mom reached, we walked towards the principal's cabin and stood near the door while awaiting our turn. The girl before me along with her dad stepped outside sooner than expected. I hurriedly lead my mother in and both of us took our seats.

The sooner it was over, the better.

That's when Mojo, our English lecturer entered the room and whispered something to our Principal. She in turn gave Mojo few instructions and Mojo hurried outside.

"I am sorry for the inconvenience, but you'll have to wait for few minutes before we discuss about your son." Our principal said.

Mojo returned with the girl who had been here before me. Her dad followed behind.

"Welcome back sir" Our principal said "I am really sorry to call you back. But did you know your daughter has a boyfriend?"

For a moment I was surprised. She spoke in such a casual tone that I didn't expect something so personal, to be announced right away in our presence.
It was awkward.
Both she and her dad were in a state of confusion. I recognized her. She was my junior who was dating Fannie, a fellow classmate. Fannie had failed in maths, and she too had failed in some subject. I wondered if I should be giving a prior warning to him.

I also happened to catch a glimpse of Mojo smirking. She played her part as Mojo Jojo perfectly well, creating a ruckus in perfectly peaceful place.

"By your reaction, I presume you weren't aware. Both your daughter and her boyfriend aren't performing well. Kindly look into it and do the needful."

Our principal then gestured her hand towards the door, signalling them to leave.

I could feel their humiliation. I was glad I wasn't in that position.

"Yes, sorry for wasting your precious time." She said looking at us.

Our principal was a typical old hag, around her retirement age. Whenever our main Chemistry Sir was on leave, she took the lectures in his stead and bored us to sleep.

"Mr. Jacob, may I know how many hours you study daily?"

"3-4 hours" I replied.

She stared at me in disbelief.
I wondered what was shocking about it. I slept for 8 hours, school consumed 8 hours, waiting for the bus and travelling took another two hours, then I needed 2 hours to eat, bath and breathe.

What else does she expect?

"That's way too less! You need to put in 7-8 hours daily. No wonder, your performance isn't on par with others!"

Eh! Is she crazy?

She looked at my mother and instructed, "Kindly look into your son's schedule. Also, do make sure he isn't distracted by some girl, like some of the students here."

She further continued about stuffs like how to make and follow a timetable, how maths needed lots of practice, how much less time remained for our exams, and many more advices that weren't practical.
Then she gestured us to the door.
This was a waste of time. I wished my mother didn't have to come all the way from home for this. But then, they would have bugged us until we met them. They were a bunch of adamant people.

That day, I travelled back home on public bus with my mother.

"That man seems like such a gentleman right?" She said.

"Who?"

"The girl's father"

"Oh"

Why would she talk about some random person?

"Poor man. He was humiliated because of his daughter."

"I think our old principal went too far." I said.

"Hmm... But, I am also glad there's no girl in your life. You are a good son unlike others."

I was quiet then. Her conservative thoughts made me uncomfortable. At the same time, I was glad it wasn't my dad beside me.

"Son, I want you to promise that you won't waste your time on any girl." She said eagerly.

"Let me just sleep, we'll talk later." I told her off immediately.

I leaned my head against her shoulder and closed my eyes for the remaining way home.