13th September, 2011: CONFLICT

In the days that followed, everything went back to normal except for dad limiting the time I spent on phone and laptop. While my school went more or less like the usual.

It was our lunch break. I took out my tiffin and found that mom had packed chicken biriyani in it.

I sighed..

It's not that I disliked my lunch, but I avoided bringing non vegetarian food to school because of Kiran. He didn't consume chicken on certain days- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Wednesdays were the only safe ones. This was a religious custom he alone followed.

"Ah,, gross! You brought chicken. God! It smells so bad. How do you eat it?" Kiran said while he frowned and furrowed his forehead.

That was it. The exact facial expressions and words that I wished not to encounter. Also, I kind of hated his hypocrisy.

On the contrary, Ashutosh excitedly picked out the chicken pieces and munched by himself. Jeena was busy preparing for the school magazine and was having lunch with her fellow committee members. She was also excused from attending few lectures. Had she been here, she would have jumped onto my tiffin too.

"God won't forgive you both. Eating chicken, especially on Friday of all days."

"Well, I am not Hindu and I don't follow these-so called-days. It won't affect me."

Kiran flipped at me, "I think you scored less for this reason."

"Eh? That sounds ridiculous." I argued while trying to maintain a straight face.

"Says the one who failed."

I was at loss for words. If at all I felt anything, that would have been disgust. I was disgusted by his words. I closed my tiffin and packed my bag silently. Then, I stood up and moved towards the last bench right behind Jeena's empty seat, without uttering a single word.

How could he say something so obnoxious? It's like he isn't the person I know.

I felt furious and sad at the same time.

Ashutosh watched us in a state of confusion. He didn't interfere initially. But seeing how we wouldn't look at each other during our remaining break and one whole period that followed, he finally spoke up.

"Come on Kiran, just go and apologize!"

"Why should I? He is overreacting to a simple joke!"

He soon realized how pointless it was to converse with that jerk. He faced towards me and requested,
"Jacob, you know he is an idiot right? He doesn't always mean what he says. Don't let this spoil your friendship...Please."

His words fell on deaf ears and he eventually gave up. I neither budged from my new seat nor did I talk to anyone during the later half of our school.

Once I reached home, I slept for two hours straight. Recalling the incident over and over throughout the remainder lectures and the ride back home, had completely drained me of my energy. But when I woke up, I did feel better and could think straight. I rationalized with myself about apologizing first.

I should just text him sorry and get over with it. Or else it would be awkward.

I took my phone and hastily sent him a message.

Listen, I am sorry. Let's forget what happened today.

I waited for hours to receive his reply. I organized my book shelf and kept myself busy as my mind wasn't free enough to learn something.

Before the day ended, he texted me back and I was relieved.

I shouldn't have said that. Sorry :'(