Epilogue

_________________________________

afterglow | ed sheeran
_________________________________

I STARED AT THE SCREEN in front of me, waiting for Clove to come back to the video call on the other side. I tapped my notebook lazily, only hearing the faint voice of Jayce talking to someone in the other room.

"I am sorry, Dr Fallon," he said, sniffling into a tissue. His eyes were puffy and teary but he didn't make an attempt to hide his tears. After five sessions, Clove was slowly opening up to me and he reminded me so much of Jayce. He was brutally honest sometimes or refused to speak at all. He was just a kid but the amount of trauma he had gone through was a great sum.

"It's okay, Clove. Take your time," I encouraged and he nodded. Online sessions were a pain in the ass in the beginning of the pandemic lockdown and I still felt like I hadn't cursed the virus enough. I had taken a break from therapy in the start but many of my clients had called me and connected with me.

I realised the quarantine could affect the mental health of many, because loneliness can bring out both the best and the worst in everyone. Jayce helped me sort out the arrangements to connect with my clients and the usual sessions resumed. But, the essence of talking to someone in real life and feeling the emotions they go through—it was missing when it came to online sessions.

"I just miss him so much. He helped me find myself in my darkest times and he was my first love. I don't know if I can love someone again. I am scared I'll forever remain alone," Clove continued.

"Love does not knock at your heart only once. Someone special will be out there in this world, searching for you as well. You just have to find him, that one person who can make your heart skip a beat with just a brush of their fingers or their warm gaze. You will find love again, Clove," I said, "Don't lose hope. Besides, there are so many other things you can love - your passion, your talents, your family, your pet, you."

He nodded. "Clove, it is normal if a part of you aches for Theo," I said and he winced at the mention of his dead boyfriend's name, "or you feel as if there is a hole in your heart that cannot be filled. Remember, he doesn't have to be replaced."

"Thank you, Dr Fallon," he said, wiping away a tear.

"I want you to think of your favourite memory you share with him and tell me why it means so much to you. We will talk about it in the next session," I gave him a warm smile.

He nodded weakly and hung up before I could squeeze in anything else. I sighed and shut down my laptop, trudging around to the kitchen in my pajamas. The one good thing that came out of these virtual sessions was that I didn't have to dress up nice everyday.

I poured two glasses of water and carried it to Jayce's room; the door was slightly ajar. I pushed through silently and saw my husband tapping on his computer, his back facing me. I smiled and placed the glass on his side table silently. Sneaking behind him, I pulled his chair away from his laptop and sat on his lap, hooping my arms around his neck with a grin.

"Asterin!" he hissed, "I am in a meeting!"

I jumped out of his lap, my eyes wide. He minimised the tab he was working on to reveal a video call between Ryan, Betty and three more unfamiliar faces. I turned red and mouthed sorry to him and them. "She can't keep her hands off you," Ryan smirked from the screen and I rolled my eyes.

"That is true," Jayce added and I slapped his shoulders.

"I am so sorry. Because you are always done by this time, I thought you were squeezing in some extra work or something," I said to Jayce.