Session 11.1

__________________________________

i like me better | lauv
___________________________________

I SCROLLED THROUGH the rest of Gale's recent posts on social media, tight-lipped. With the help of her tag, I had tracked down the woman he was dating. Her name was Blair and she was an architect too, just like Gale. 'Work is calling me, can't tonight,' he'd made an excuse frequently but only now I knew 'Work' was a pseudonym for Blair.

My fingers fisted and I pursed my lips again as I thought about the last month in our relationship. I wanted to know where all I had turned a blind eye to his sneaky disposition.

At the end of August, Gale and I visited his uncle and aunt in California and then returned back immediately because he had work. They insisted for us to stay and travel around the city but Gale said he didn't have time to spare and that we could come back anytime later and sight-see. I had been so pissed at him and he had ignored me for the whole journey back home.

I knew expecting him to apologize to me later on was nothing but an impossible dream to hold on to, so I had gone up to him myself and apologized for being inconsiderate of his work. Of course, he had to forgive me then.

I looked up when the door opened and I quickly exited Gale's Facebook. I knew Jayce had meant well when he unfollowed Gale on Instagram but I wanted to know more. I couldn't sleep with all the questions in my mind about her, about him and me.

"What are you doing?" he asked, laying down on the couch and picking up a magazine to flip through.

"You know, um, just browsing through some wedding decors," I lied.

"Oh yeah, the wedding is..." He glanced at my calendar, "ten days from today, right? How is Stacey? Has she gone crazy yet?"

"Almost," I chuckled. "At this rate, I am worried she would have to go to a mental asylum for her honeymoon."

Jayce joined me in my laughter. "So, where are they going really?"

"Haze wants to keep it a surprise so he isn't telling her. You might be wondering how she allowed that but he struck a fair bargain. He told her that she could take full responsibility for the wedding plans if she let him plan the honeymoon," I informed, "But Haze told me that he is taking her to Tahiti islands. He showed me the pictures. It's wonderful."

"They are quite the couple, aren't they?" He smiled and I nodded, ignoring my heart twisting in my chest. "Actually, Stacey called me up yesterday and asked me the best colours to match with sage green."

"She's exploiting you and your talents. And my God, that invitation you had designed was amazing! Stacey manages to gush about it each time she calls me, telling me how someone had commented on it. She said she refused to reveal the designer's identity."

Jayce chuckled. "Stacey has a clear visual, you know. She knows what colour and designs she wants, where she wants and all that. I added my own touch a little and did it. It wasn't a big deal," he said.

I rolled my eyes. "Just take the compliment when you get it, big man. And note it down, you are going to decide my wedding invitations as well. I am making a booking in advance, okay?"

Jayce's snickering stopped and he bought himself a second to collect himself back together. I also felt it. The oddness and the foreignity at the words that slipped out of my mouth. It made me flinch. I felt like I shouldn't be discussing my wedding with Jayce. It wasn't meaningless and casual banter anymore. The words weighed down the silence.

I cleared my throat. "So, how was your gathering? What did you do?" I asked, stacking the papers on my desk and expertly flipping the topic.

"Actually, we ended up going to Betty's daughter's recital. I don't know how but Liza - the little girl, took an instant liking towards me. She fussed to be carried around in my arms and do you know how nice that made me feel? She kept telling me all the stories of her school with her childish giggles in between. She was so fucking adorable," he said and I smiled at Jayce's love for kids. He definitely shared a bond with them. That made him even hotter, for some reason.