Session 10.1

____________________________________

moonlight | ariana grande
_____________________________________

"WHOA, SOMEONE CATCH ME!" I screamed, feeling the table wobble under my feet. "Haze!"

My heart raced as the wooden surface gave out underneath, getting me toppling in the air. I felt a hand grab my shirt and pull me to the side as I landed partly on the floor, partly on Haze's legs. The neon-painted decor of spooky bats followed me, hitting my head and dropping on the floor.

"Ow, shit!" I groaned, tears brimming my eyes. Pains shot through my wrist, on which I had put my weight on during the fall.

Stacey rushed towards me and Haze tried propping me up. I could only see a blur of movement. I knew my leg was okay but my arm was definitely not. I clutched and cradled it, tears squeezing out of my eyes.

Haze helped me stand up and I leaned on Stacey. "It doesn't look like a fracture. It may be a sprain or something," Stacey decided, with her little knowledge of medicine.

"Call my brother," I said and stumbled to sit on the couch. Stacey quickly contacted Luka through video call while Haze looked at me with worry.

"Who asked you to hang the bats on top?" he asked.

"I thought it would be nice," I sighed.

Haze gave me a look of disappointment. He was reacting as I asked the table to give out beneath me and planned to hurt my arm. Before I could call him out, the doorbell rang. Haze gave me one last look and I was tempted to stick my tongue out at him. Idiot.

He answered the door and Jayce walked in. He had a smile on his face but when his eyes landed on me and my jaw-clenching expression, the smile fell. Concern took its place instead and that made my heart skip a beat. But I couldn't linger on that feeling for long. The pain came in waves.

"What happened?" He asked, reaching me in four long strides.

Before I could answer, Luka's voice came through the phone. "Hey Stace, what's up?" He asked.

"Luka, Asterin fell down from a stool and she is hurt," she explained and turned the phone towards me. I muttered a weak hi.

"I was happy that there weren't any broken bones in the past few years," he sighed. "You just had to prove me wrong, didn't you?"

"Why is everyone blaming me? It's not like I orchestrated this whole thing!" I whined and he rolled his eyes. "Some brother I have," I mumbled.

"Show me your arm," he said, ignoring my jab. After a few minutes of speculation, he said it wasn't major but only a sprain in my wrist. No wonder I couldn't bear to move it properly.

"Keep some ice on it and rest for a while. Haze, get her that elastic bandage and a couple of Advils," he advised and Haze nodded immediately. "Take the pill before you sleep, Asterin."

"Okay," I said obediently, still cradling my arm. Jayce handed me a frozen ice packet and I pressed it on my wrist. Then I noticed Luka's clothes.

"Oh my God, you are in your costumes! Are you going trick or treating?"

"Yes," he said, leaning back from the screen to call Jamie and Layla. Luka was wearing a purple sleeveless coat and a skin-coloured t-shirt underneath. Jamie, dressed in a monkey onesie placed a red hat on his father's head and that's when it clicked.

"Aladdin, Abu and--Where is Jasmine?" I squealed.

Layla came in in her turquoise costume, her raven hair looking perfect, just like a princess. "This Jasmine is pregnant," she said and I nodded, grinning.