Session 13.3

_______________________________

starving | hailee steinfeld
_______________________________

STACEY AND HAZE made their grand entrance on the dance floor set up beside the cottage.

The stage was a square wood board covering yards of earthy ground beneath. Around it were numerous tables on the right, stacked with desserts and food, from where the guests helped themselves to the delicious meal. There were tables on the left and around for the guests to seat themselves in.

The music began to play and we all watched as the wedded couple had their first dance. Haze twirled Stacey around as she laughed and bunched up in her husband's arms. Her diamond ring glinted under the fairy lights as they swayed along the beat. Everyone paused to watch them dance and smiled at how adorable they looked. Stacey and Haze were meant for each other. There wasn't a doubt in that.

I was seated beside Jayce who had Declan on the other side. He was the best man and Haze's best friend. Declan and Jayce made light-hearted conversation which didn't match my interest. I took out my phone and went through the pictures Jayce and I sneaked between conversations. I smiled like an idiot, zooming in to see how Jayce looked at me. I wondered if it was really love.

When I glanced up, I realized that Gale was seated right across from me. He pressed a kiss on his girlfriend's lips and rested his arm around her shoulders as he conversed with the man next to her. I turned to Jayce's side immediately and hid my face behind him. I didn't want him to realize I was sitting opposite to me. When my hair brushed Jayce's neck, he turned around to find me clenching my jaws and squeezing my eyes shut.

He excused himself from his previous conversation and then took my hands, asking me what's wrong. I shook my head, not knowing how to explain to him. I felt resentment, anger, hurt and regret. But at the same time, all the memories rushed back to me, making me wince in pain. "You want to get some air?" he asked.

I shook my head and told him dinner was almost ready and the toasting ceremony will follow. I had to make one to Stacey. He nodded and then his eyes fell on the phone on my lap. It was open with a picture of us —I had my arms around him and was pressed against his chest. I had asked Layla to take the photo because I loved the background setting too much.

"Wow, this is perfect," he said, taking my phone. "But standing beside you dulls me out."

I rolled my eyes at him, even though I knew he was attempting to make me feel better. The music died and both Haze and Stacey took their seats which were attached with a metal hubby and wifey plate respectively. As soon as Stacey sat down, she sipped her wine making me shake my head in laughter. Haze grabbed her glass and took a gulp too.

Dinner was served and I stole too many eclairs from the dessert table. Jayce simply laughed at me, too amused to comment. "Hey, don't judge," I said and fed him one from my plate. "See, it's that good," I commented when he moaned at how wonderful it tasted.

A light tap on my shoulders made me turn and my face immediately broke out into a smile. "I thought you guys won't make it!" I told Camila and Remy. I handed my plate to Jayce and hugged both of them.

"Our flight got delayed due to the weather so I couldn't call and inform," he said. I noticed the scar in his hand fading with time but his eyes were tired and sullen.

"Is everything okay?" I asked. While Remy nodded, Camila shook her head in denial at the same time. Remy glared at her and she muttered sorry.

Remy sighed. "My family has decided to cut me off permanently. They don't want me there. They have divided the property and handed me my shares but in terms of family bonding, I am to have none. I am okay with it. You guys are the only ones who supported me anyway. You guys are my family," he smiled weakly and I shared a look with Jayce.