Session 2.2

_______________________________________

autumn leaves - ed sheeran
_______________________________________

LEAVES CRUNCHED under my boots, as I made my way to the only pale blue bench in Earl Park. The cup of strawberry juice I had earlier left me craving for more and Remy, being the caring person he is, offered to pack some in a takeaway cup. I had graciously showed him my gratitude using my best Merci and a kiss on the cheek.

Sipping my juice, I pursed my lips and let the sweet taste of strawberries rule over my taste buds, which it effectively did by making them tingle in happiness. Of course, drinking a hot coffee on a chilly day hit close to home but there was something about drinking an iced drink in cold weather. It was exciting and invigorating, especially when it made your body feel like it had woken up from a twenty-year long nap.

I felt good despite the weariness from work. The dying hope in me was replenished after I had seen Gale's Instagram profile. I was not sure if it was a good or a bad thing but it made me feel better. There must be a reason he hadn't changed his bio just yet. Maybe he regretted our breakup or maybe we had a chance of getting back together. I was hoping against hope that it would be either of the two.

I stepped on the scattered set of brown, orange and yellow leaves, feeling an odd satisfaction whenever I heard the crunch as they crushed underneath my boot. A childish smile creeped onto my face as I continued to do the same.

Someone cleared their throat. Pausing my play, I whirled around and my jaw fell open. Jayce sat cross-legged on the blue bench, my usual seat. Though his shoulders sagged lazily against his seat and echoed a careless disposition, his fingers spoke a different language. They drummed on his thighs in a ragged rhythm, as if they had no idea what to do to get rid of the nerves.

I pointed at the bench and bluntly said, "You are in my seat."

His eyebrows raised. They looked like two bold strokes of black paint, so ironic to the pencil-thin eyebrows of mine. "Does it have your name on it? Am I missing something?" He mocked me and I clenched my teeth. He was back with the jabs again.

"It's my usual seat. I didn't expect anyone to be here, especially you," I shrugged. "Scoot over now."

He stared at me for a second but pushed himself to the other edge of the seat. "We keep meeting again and again. Don't you think the universe is trying to tell us something?" he asked.

I laughed. "For a man who has too many criticisms to give, I am surprised you believe in stuff like fate and messages from the universe."

"Why? Is it so hard to imagine that I might have a spiritual side?" he asked.

"Do you really?"

He bit his lip. "No. I just believe that all the events of our life have a reason behind its occurrence. You and I met repeatedly, thrice now. That should count for something right?"

"Maybe," I shrugged. "Maybe not. This is a small town."

"I am surprised we never ran into each other even once in the past years then," Jayce said and my lips quirked.

I sipped my drink. "So, did you ever find a therapist – and I quote – who isn't as messed up as me?" I said, using my one hand to air quote.

He winced at the question and ran both of his hands through his hair in an attempt to cover it. The muscles under his tight shirt suddenly tensed. "Hey, um, I-I wanted to apologize for my behaviour that day. I shouldn't have said those things. I know therapists aren't robots programmed to give others advice. I know you have a life outside your office too and I shouldn't have brought up our meeting at the bar to use it against you. I – it's just that – it was a very bad day for me and I took it out on you. It's no excuse but I hope you can look past it. I am really sorry."