Session 6.2

_____________________________

thoughts | sasha sloan
______________________________

JAYCE WIPED HIS TEARS AWAY and sipped a glass of water. As Jayce recovered, I took my time exploring his house. The living room walls were painted beige with minimalistic art frames hung in a pattern. The couch was grey, the cushions were either beige, cream, or brown. There was an indoor plant next to the couch and on the other side, there was the chair where Jayce sat. He had a plain white tea table with a cute gray tray with a notepad and pencils.

The wall across had a TV and a white shelf underneath to house all of his books. I drawed open the curtains in the side and soft sunlight caressed the room. A pathway cut next to the wall, leading to the kitchen and a small room. But there was also a staircase that led to the first floor. "I think it's safe to say that this is one of the prettiest houses I've ever been to. I didn't know you had it in you to make it look this... aesthetic. It's wow," I said, turning to Jayce. "Did you buy all the interiors?"

"What do you think I do with the money I earn and the spare time I have?" he rasped, standing up to join me.

"Your house is gorgeous, Jayce. It's so cozy and bright and warm," I said again. "What is upstairs?"

"My room and a spare room that I don't use," he said. "Do you want to take a look?"

"Nah, it's fine. Maybe some other day. I can only take in a certain level of prettiness at a time," I remarked and he rolled his eyes with a sideways smile. "You have an eye for colours and combinations. I mean, of course you have it because you are a designer, but still this is amazing. My apartment is a shack. Good thing Leo doesn't care."

"Leo, as in your cat?"

I chuckled. "Yes, we are living together. He has a say in where I live. He hates my parent's house."

"Have you always lived alone?" I asked.

"When I was in college, I shared an apartment with... uh, some people. When I secured a job in this town, I decided to move into my parent's house because there wasn't anyone else who would look after it for me and I didn't want to sell it either. I cut down expenses and moved in indefinitely."

I connected the dots together. "So, this was why you needed to hold on to your current job. Because you don't want to be moving places and leaving home," I guessed.

Jayce pursed his lips and nodded. The redness in his eyes was slowly fading. "Aren't you lonely?"

He paused at my question. "Yeah, sometimes. Especially now that I don't have work to distract myself, I feel alone and moody. But the feeling passes or maybe I am used to it."

"Why don't you try dating?"

Jayce ran his hand through his hair and rubbed his wrist. "Why is everyone intent on making me date?" he asked with annoyance.

I chuckled. "Why? Did Dr. Morales ask you to do the same?"

"Yes, he wants me to go on dates and tell him how it goes. He is giving me homeworks like I am a child that needs discipline," he said.

"You have dated before, right? Past girlfriends, boyfriends? Anyone?" I pressed.

"I had two girlfriends in my school years and after my mother died, I couldn't balance my personal love life and my overbearing loss. I, um, slept around but never had anything serious in my college years. When I started working, I was in this unlabeled relationship with a woman. I guess we just wanted someone around us and we were simply that. No complicated feelings and such. Then, she got a job in New York and moved there. That's it, I guess," he said and I nodded.