Chapter 8 (Edited)

Guilt flooded over Jaypaw as she watched Ravenpaw slink sadly back into the apprentices den. She wanted him to be safe, she wanted Sunwatcher to be safe, she wanted to figure out the prophecy! Jaypaw was lost and confused, wishing that Drizzleheart had given her more information. 

It began to sink into her how selfish she'd been. Pushing another cat away because she didn't want to get herself hurt- and especially with him being her brother- how must Ravenpaw feel now? She wanted to let him into the prophecy- but if the Raven line was about him, she couldn't.

But he's your brother. Of course he's hurt that he was the first thing you thought of when you get a dark prophecy. I have to apologize to him. Jaypaw thought. I have to tell him that I didn't mean what I said, that I was just scared.

Jaypaw turned to Thunderheart, who was still in the medicine den. He was awake, and his eyes were clear. The wound was almost gone, leaving not much except for a pink scar that separated his fur. "Hey, Jaypaw! Do you think I could move out of the medicine den and go back to warrior duties now? It's getting really boring in here. Not that you and Sunwatcher aren't fun cats, but I miss being a warrior." he smiled at her.

Jaypaw used her medicine cat knowledge and ran her paw over the closed wound. No swelling, no redness, no sour smell of infection. It looked pretty much healed. "I think you should be free to go. But you'd better check with Sunwatcher first." Jaypaw replied. 

"Great! Where is he?" Thunderheart asked. 

"He's probably collecting herbs. I'll look for him."

Jaypaw left the medicine den, glancing towards the apprentices den where she knew her brother resided. I'll talk to Ravenpaw when I get back.

Jaypaw saw Duskblaze, the deputy, eating a mouse by the entrance of the camp, her orange pelt glowing in the sun. Jaypaw padded over to the tabby she cat, feeling a little bad about interrupting her meal. "Hey, Duskblaze. Have you seen Sunwatcher?" Jaypaw asked. 

"I think he went out to gather herbs." Duskblaze responded. "He shouldn't be too far."

Jaypaw nodded and walked out of camp. "Thanks." Duskblaze nodded, going back to her mouse.

Jaypaw padded over to the best spot to find marigold- they were short on it after Thunderheart's wound, so he was probably looking for some. She sniffed around, catching Sunwatcher's scent- he must be close by. She was farther from camp than she thought he would be, though.

"Sunwatcher?" Jaypaw called. "I need to ask you something!" Jaypaw inhaled again, catching a different, more metallic scent.

I must be smelling wrong- why would I smell blood here?

Jaypaw crept through the pine forest, thankful for the feeling of tranquility and shelter that they provided, with the dimness and the soft bed of good-smelling needles under her feet from the trees above. The familiarity did make her feel safer, even though her stomach was now churning with butterflies of fear.

A groan sounded not far ahead, and Jaypaw whipped her head around. 

She saw Sunwatcher's golden pelt shimmering in the faint light of the forest, but there was blood streaked through it. What happened? She thought frantically. Is he okay?

Jaypaw dashed to Sunwatcher's side, gently running her paw over his pelt, looking for the wound so she could help, so she could fix whatever had happened. She located it on the side of his stomach- it was deep, which was not good. She noticed that his eyes were barely open, and he was slipping into consciousness.

"Sunwatcher, what happened?" Jaypaw exclaimed. "Who did this?"

"I was...ambushed...dark...dark cat...many cats..." 

Jaypaw's mind raced. She inhaled deeply, trying to figure it out- seeing if she could pick up on something. As she did, Sunwatcher slipped into unconsciousness, still faintly stuttering about the dark cats.

Another scent caught Jaypaw's attention...but how could it be? This wasn't a dream...so why was she catching the foul scent of the Shadow Sea?