Chapter 17

Ravenclaw chewed on his bite of squirrel as he listened to Jayflight tell him about the strange cat she had seen in the forest the other day.

"He- or she- I think it was a tom though-" she swallowed her bite of squirrel. "He was this brown tom, with darker brown spots all over him. And his eyes were, like, and emerald color but brighter, like flower stems." "How big was he?" asked Ravenclaw. "About our size." Jayflight responded.

"Have you ever seen him before?"

Ravenclaw sighed. "I don't think so." he had never seen the tom that Jayflight described.

"Hey, Ravenclaw!" Duskblaze called from across camp. "Come on evening patrol with us!" In the patrol was Icefur, Dawnlight, Duskblaze, and- Ravenclaw's belly flipped- Ripplemist.

His father smiled encouragingly at him. Ravenclaw turned to Jayflight, and said "See you later." she purred in response through her bite of squirrel.

Ravenclaw padded over to join the patrol, and noticed that Icefur seemed disgruntled to have been put in a patrol with Ripplemist and Ravenclaw. He was one of the few that still thought Ravenclaw and Jayflight should be punished.

Ripplemist's pale blue eyes shone. Duskblaze flicked her tail, signaling that the patrol was leaving. Ravenclaw walked up to his father, but when he got there he didn't exactly know what to say. 'The weather is good?' do you like it in ShadeClan?'

But it was his father who spoke first. "I've missed watching you grow up through the moons. I'm glad I finally have a chance to get to know you." "Yeah. It's cool that I finally get to meet you. I spent a lot of my apprentice hood wondering who my father was, and now..." Ravenclaw trailed off. "Now I have you."

Ripplemist smiled. "I always wanted kits, but could never find the right cat. Until I met Echosplash." he let out a purr and skipped a little further along the path.

"Anyways, I want to hear about you!" Ripplemist said. He was like Jayflight; he just couldn't stop smiling. "How was your apprenticeship? Who's your best friend? Is there a..." his contagious smile grew into a smirk as he said "special she cat?"

Ravenclaw purred and shook his head. "My apprenticeship was nice, I don't have a best friend, and no, there isn't a 'special she cat' for me yet." Ravenclaw noticed that Ripplemist was a lot like Jayflight overall; his light gray tabby fur, sky blue eyes, and bubbly personality. Ravenclaw was more like Echosplash; quiet and smart, more so sticking to himself.

"Oooooh, are you sureeee?" Ripplemist teased. Ravenclaw rolled his eyes, but he grinned while doing so. "Yes, I'm very sure." he said. Ravenclaw lifted his muzzle and opened his mouth slightly to taste the air for prey. A warm, musky scent washed over his tongue. Squirrel!

Ravenclaw dropped into a hunting crouch, and flicked his tail for Ripplemist to do so too. Ripplemist was low to the ground already, beginning to creep in the direction of the squirrel.

A small tapping sound a few tail lengths in front of them. The squirrel was trying to break open an acorn.

Ripplemist slowly snaked around the squirrel, and flicked his tail to signal Ravenclaw to the other side of the small clearing.

He's going to chase it right into my claws. Ravenclaw thought. He began to slowly creep to the other side of the clearing.

As if on cue, when he got to the other side, Ripplemist was just about to jump out at the squirrel when the wind blew ever so slightly in the direction of the squirrel. The small creature perked up, and ran away from Ripplemist, having caught his scent.

The squirrel ran right into Ravenclaw, and let out a small squeak as Ravenclaw pinned it down to the ground and delivered the killing bite.

Ripplemist let out a small whoop, and ran over, nudging Ravenclaw ever so slightly. "Nice Job! I should have sensed the wind though."

"Nah, it's okay. It worked even better that way." Ravenclaw replied. "Lets see what else we can catch."

They buried the squirrel, and padded along one of the small streams on the edge of the territory. Ripplemist slowed to a stop at one of the deeper spots in the shallow stream.

"Why are we stopping?" Ravenclaw asked. Ripplemist had sat at the edge of the stream and was staring down into the waters.

"Watch this." He said. Ripplemist sat there, and after about a minute, Ravenclaw was rather confused at what he was supposed to be watching. He was about to say something when Ripplemist jerked a paw into the water, and pulled out a small fish.

He quickly reached down and bit the flopping fish, killing it. "Ta-da!" Ripplemist said proudly.

"Wow!" Ravenclaw exclaimed. "How'd you do that?"

"I come from LakeClan, remember? You know, we catch fish and stuff. It's like, our thing." he joked.

Ravenclaw smiled. He had almost felt like Ripplemist lived here, in ShadeClan with him and Jayflight. being with him just felt so...natural.

The two of them worked together, catching two more mice, and Ripplemist caught another small fish. Once the sun started to set, they headed back to camp, their abundance of prey in their jaws.

Waiting for them in camp, was Jayflight. She bounded up to them, looking at the prey they had.

"Ooh, fish!" she said. "I want to try!"

Ravenclaw smiled through the prey in his jaws. He had miles more today then he had in...he couldn't remember. Maybe ever?

The kits in the nursery, Blackkit and Heatherkit, raced to the entrance. "Hey Ravenclaw! What've you got today? Oooh! did you catch us a cat?" Heatherkit poked Ripplemist with her tiny paw. "Who're you, mister prey cat?"

Ravenclaw remembered that the kits had probably either been sleeping or in the nursery when it was announced that Ripplemist would be staying.

"I'm Ripplemist, and I brought you kits some special prey." He said, the such muffling his words.

Ripplemist dropped the smaller fish at the kits paws. They eagerly sniffed it, excited at the sight of new prey. Blackkit bit into the scaly fish. He chewed and swallowed, and he seemed to be thinking hard, his tiny kit face scrunched up in thought.

"It's really good!" Blackkit decided, going in for another bite. The kits dragged the fish into the nursery, Heatherkit shouting "Thank you Rippley Mister!" as she sat down to eat.

"Wow, the kits aren't, wrong, this is pretty good." Jayflight said. Ravenclaw snickered quietly, but Jayflight heard.

"What?" she asked. There was a small bit of fish dangling from her nose. Ripplemist started to purr too, and Jayflight saw that they were looking at her nose.

She went cross eyed to see what was there, and at that Ripplemist and Ravenclaw burst into laughter. Jayflight laughed too, simply because she love laughing. The three of them shared a happy moment, and Ravenclaw finally felt like he had a family.