Chapter 16

Horror flooded through Jayflight's body. Sunwatcher's face expressed what she felt as Shellcloud retold the story to him.

"They need to be punished!" Icefur snarled.

"I agree." Alderclaw added. "They broke the warrior code. They deserve punishment."

Echosplash had her head bent in the middle of the circle of cats. But Ripplemist stood his ground. "We were only following our hearts. And your Clan got two beautiful kits out of it, so don't be complaining." he smiled warmly at his kits. "Jaypaw, Ravenclaw, i am proud to be your father."

Jayflight didn't even care that he didn't know her name yet, she was just happy that her father did care, and he loved her.

"He's right." Dovepelt said. "My sister would never try to harm her Clan."

"Yes." Stonewish said, and glared at her mate, Troutstripe, who seemed to be protesting against the two cats. "Our kits would never hurt our Clan purposefully, would they?"

Troutstripe bowed his head. "No." he admitted. "But they still deserve punishment for breaking the warrior code."

"They sure do, those fleabags." Skyrunner mumbled. Ravenclaw growled at her, and she glared back.

"What does our leader have to say?" Duskblaze, the deputy, asked.

Twigstar, who had been speaking with Spotstar about the situation, stood up from where she was sitting. "Me and Spotstar have agreed on a punishment." She said. "In order to regain yours and the other Clan's trust, you will swap Clans for a moon." She began looking towards Echosplash and Ripplemist. "You will treat that Clan like it is your own, and serve them, hunt for them, do all of the things you would have done for your own Clan.

Jayflight thought that was a great punishment, honestly; she would get to know her father! But she would miss her mother, and it was probably a dreadful punishment for them..she couldn't imagine leaving her Clan for a quarter moon, let alone a full moon.

Ripplemist and Echosplash nodded, not wanting anymore heat from the rest of the cats.

"Are you all satisfied with that?" Twigstar asked. Most of the cats were silent, until Icefur piped up again. "What about Jaypaw and Ravenclaw? Will they be punished? They're half Clan!"

"Did they choose to be half clan?" Twigstar shot back at him. Icefur didn't reply. "I asked you a question, Icefur." Twigstar seemed utterly calm. Jayflight admired her leader; she wasn't hurting Icefur, but she was still teaching him a lesson; to follow your leader's orders.

"No, they didn't." Icefur mumbled. His pale blue eyes were focused on the ground.

"Jaypaw and Ravenclaw will receive no punishment. There is one more announcement I would like to make, before you go." she said. Twigstar turned her emerald eyes on Jayflight. "We welcome you as a full medicine cat, Jayflight. I expect great things from you." she smiled, and turned to her den.

As cats began to trickle back into their dens, go on patrols, and get food from the fresh kill pile, Echosplash padded up to her kits. "I'm sorry I embarrassed you." she said. "But i'm happy no one got hurt." "Oh, Mom, you could never embarrass me with this! I'm proud to have Ripplemist as my father, he seems like a great cat." Jayflight said, and pressed her nose into Echosplash's fur.

Echosplash licked Jayflight's ear, and looked at her and Ravenclaw. "You will always be my kits, half clan or not. While I am gone, get to know your father. And take care of yourselves." She licked Ravenclaw's ear and went with the LakeClan cats.

Jayflight and Ravenclaw awkwardly turned to each other.

"Look-"

"No, you look. I'm sorry for flipping out on you, you grouchy furball." Jayflight said to him. "I shouldn't have acted like that. You're my brother and you always will be. One fight between us won't change that." they smiled at each other.

"Want to share a squirrel?" Ravenclaw gestured to the fresh kill pile.

Jayflight smiled. "I'd love to."