Chapter 9 (Edited)

Jaypaw's mind reeled as she scanned the pine trees for cobwebs. I must be imagining it- that or I really am crazy. Why had she faintly caught the scent of the Shadow Sea? The cats there were dead. Their spirits couldn't appear in the world to hurt cats.

She found a thick wad of cobwebs and proceeded to plaster them over Sunwatcher's wound. The speed at which the cobwebs turned red made her very anxious.

Jaypaw turned in a circle to see if there were any ShadeClan patrols nearby. She didn't see any. 

She glanced at Sunwatcher, who was still out cold. I could run back to camp- I'd have to be fast, though. Jaypaw hated running, but she'd do it to save Sunwatcher. She couldn't just leave him out here, to possibly die.

Jaypaw gathered her breath, and took off straight for camp, running as fast as she could, ignoring her wheezing. She felt the moss smush gently under her paws as she bolted toward camp. She stopped for a lap or two of water in a nearby puddle, but kept on running until she saw the camp entrance ahead. She stepped through the pine needle barrier and collapsed, panting.

"Jaypaw! What happened?"

Duskblaze was standing to the side of the camp entrance, where Jaypaw had seen her before she'd left camp, with what looked to be a hunting patrol about to leave. Jaypaw noticed uncomfortably that Ravenpaw was in this patrol- hadn't he just been on one, anyway? Warriors.

But that didn't matter right now. "It's Sunwatcher! He's.." she stopped to take a big breath in. "He's hurt, and he's far away from camp. I need your help so I can bring him back and treat him." 

Duskblaze's eyes lit in surprise. "Lead the way, Jaypaw."

Jaypaw turned and began to slowly run, picking up her pace as she ran to where Sunwatcher had been injured. She heard two sets of paws behind her- Duskblaze's, and probably another warrior. The scent of blood rose again in her throat as she spotted Sunwatcher's golden tabby pelt, streaked with red.

She turned around to Duskblaze and, surprisingly, Ravenpaw. She shook out her pelt from running., trying to disguise how much it exhausted her. "C'mon, let's carry him back to camp!" Jaypaw said,

Together, they all nosed under Sunwatcher and took extra care to avoid the wound, which Jaypaw stuck another layer of cobwebs on.

They were in a line with Sunwatcher laying on top of them, and slowly, they began the long trek back to camp. Sunwatcher was lighter than Jaypaw would have thought- despite the fact that he was such a big cat. A lot of it was probably just his fluffy fur. 

Jaypaw was awkwardly squashed beside of Ravenpaw. He shot her a glare, and she could feel the tenseness of the air between them. "Ravenpaw," she hissed. "I'm sorry, okay? I didn't mean to push you away like that. I was scared, that's all. I don't know what to think of this prophecy stuff. I know it was selfish of me, but can you forgive me?"

Ravenpaw seemed to register what she said for a moment before scowling at her. "No, Jaypaw. I can't forgive you. For many reasons. One of them being that if you pushed me away based on a prophecy that could be just a dream?" 

Jaypaw shot a nervous glance at Duskblaze, but she wasn't listening. "Speaking of that, how do you even know it was a real prophecy? Maybe you're not supposed to be a medicine cat. Maybe you're just wrong. Are you only trying to be a medicine cat to prove that you're better than the rest of the apprentices or something? So that you can be StarClan's favorite?"

And that, that made Jaypaw angry. "It was a dream from StarClan!" She snarled, her shoulder fur rising, only to be squashed by Sunwatcher, who was still unconscious. "And who says I'm not supposed to be a medicine cat? I can be what I want, for me, and I don't need you getting in the way! Prophecy or not!" Jaypaw let out a huff.

"I don't want to be hurt anymore by you! Or by anyone else! Just...just go hang out with someone else, Jaypaw. What's the point in being close to cats if they're only bound to push you away?" Ravenpaw's voice trembled. 

Was something else going on with him? A wave of guilt crashed over Jaypaw. She didn't want to be the cause of Ravenpaw's sadness- but maybe she could try talking to him again, in the future.

But now, they both needed time to cool down.