Epilogue

The tom chewed on his bite of mouse. The prey around the twolegplace wasn't as easy to catch as forest prey, but it would do. 

Their little group of three was currently living on the edge of twolegplace, where the tom often went into the forest to observe the forest cats.

"Did you see anything today?" he asked the two she cats. 

"No." answered the golden she cat. "Nothing but stupid twolegs and kittypets." 

"Actually, I saw a few cats today." answered the silver she cat. "About six or seven. They were coming from the territory where those big groups of cats like to hint and live and stuff. You know, where you like to watch." She said, guesturing to the tom. 

Maybe it's that she cat I always see with the plants, he thought. maybe I'll finally get to talk to her...

"How close were they?" the tom asked. "To our camp?" 

"I don't know exactly." The silver she cat responded. "I saw them from the wall. They were pretty far away, but if that was a few hours ago, they would be arriving here soon, assuming here is where they're headed." 

The tom sat up. "I'm going to go look for them." he said, getting up from his mouse. "I'll be right back." 

Just then, the voices sounded outside the small clearing where they ate. 

"Are you sure?" 

"Ouch, that's my tail, you furball! Just because it's dark doesn't mean I'm blind!" 

The tom flicked his tail to give the she cats a signal, and they both crept into the bushes, ready to attack if it came to that.

The tom stood in the center of the clearing, prepared as the mysterious cats slid through the bushes.