Chapter 19

i drew the picture above! do you like it? (it's Jaykit and Ravenkit playing)

Frustration surged through Jayflight. Something about this tom...seemed important, and she desperately longed to find out what.

Well, there's nothing I can do about it now, she thought, collecting her chervil and heading back to camp. He's gone.

That feeling, though, lingered- Jayflight knew he was important. Somehow.

Jayflight grabbed the last of the chervil with her teeth, and went back to camp. Her pelt brushed the leaves on the way into the camp, and she went into the medicine den to drop off the chervil.

"Here you go, Sunwatcher." Jayflight said, dropping the chervil on the floor of the medicine den. "As promised, a fresh stock of chervil."

"Thanks." Sunwatcher said. "There aren't any injured cats right now- you're free for the day."

"Thanks, Sunwatcher!" Jayflight said. She was glad to have Sunwatcher as a mentor. He was just so nice and calm.

Jayflight thought of what she wanted to do on her free day. Actually, she wanted to ask Sunwatcher about his siblings.

"Sunwatcher?" Jayflight asked. "Can I ask you something?" 

"You just did." Sunwatcher said, smiling. "But yes, you can ask me something else too." 

"How did Darkspirit and Ivythorn end up in the Shadow Sea?" Jayflight asked. "What did they do that was so bad?"

Sunwatcher took a deep breath. "They killed cats before they were even warriors." he repiled. "Our father, who also resides in the Shadow Sea, gave them an uncontrollable taste of blood. He made them hate noble Clan ways- they began to think for themselves. They both got themselves exiled, and took refuge in another Clan, before that Clan exiled them too. StormClan." Sunwatcher sighed. "Their stupidity got them both killed." 

Wow. Jayflight thought. That would have been horrible to grow up with.

"Thank you for telling me." Jayflight said in a small voice. "I'm just gonna...go." She said. 

Jayflight padded outside the medicine den, letting that sink in. If the prophecy was correct, she thought, then that is what we're up against.

Suddenly, a thought stopped her in her tracks. Wait...how did Darkspirit or Ivythorn get here to attack Sunwatcher? Jayflight thought. Spirit cats can't just...appear like that.

Jayflight raced back to the medicine den. "Sunwatcher!" she exclaimed when she arrived. "Do you remember what attacked you that day when you were alone in the forest?" 

Sunwatcher looked puzzled. "No." He said. "I smelled an unusual scent, though." 

Things were starting to click into place in Jayflight's mind. "I think it was Darkspirit or Ivythorn. One of them came down to attack you, probably kill you. They know that I got the prophecy, and that you know too much about them." she said. 

Sunwatcher's eyes slowly dawned with realization. "But how did they get down here?" He asked. "They're dead."

"That's what I don't know." Jayflight said. "Can I go to the SilverTree to speak to StarClan about it?" 

Sunwatcher considered what Jayflight asked. "At sunset." He said. "And take a warrior to guard you. I don't want them somehow getting to you." by them, Sunwatcher meant Darkspirit, Ivythorn, and possibly other Shadow Sea cats.

Jayflight nodded, and stepped out of the den. She padded over to Ravenclaw, getting a pang in her chest when she realized she hadn't told him about Darkspirit and Ivythorn yet.

"Ravenclaw?" she said. "Can we talk for a moment? I need to tell you something important." 

"Yeah, sure." Ravenclaw said. They padded out of camp, into the forest, and to a clump of trees that hid them well. Jayflight sat down and turned to Ravenclaw.

Ravenclaw's eyes had a spark of curiosity. "What is it?" he asked. 

Before Jayflight could stop herself, she was spilling it all to him, her dream, Sunwatcher's siblings, refusing to go into the Shadow Sea, her plan to go to the SilverTree tonight- everything. 

When she was done. Ravenclaw stared in shock. A mumble of "Wow." was all he could get out.

"Will you go to the SilverTree with me? I know it's a lot to ask, but Sunwatcher wants a warrior to go with me...just in case." Jayflight asked.

"Yeah, I'll go." Ravenclaw said. Relief washed over Jayflight- she couldn't imagine going with a grumpy warrior like Icefur.

"Does Twigstar know?" Ravenclaw asked. Jayflight felt a jolt- they had forgotten to tell their leader. "No." 

Ravenclaw sighed. "Well, she should know. I know that you don't want to spark panic in the Clans, but you should at least tell your Clan leader." 

"Sunwatcher told me not to tell anyone." Jayflight said. "But I think we should." 

"Well then why did you tell me?" 

Jayflight thought, You're my brother, but that wasn't the reason. If Darkspirit was her brother, she wouldn't have told him.

"Because I trust you." She finally replied. "You won't tell anyone, right?"

"Of course not." Ravenclaw said. "I would never." 

"Good. Let's head back to camp." Jayflight said.

***

A few hours later, Jayflight and Ravenclaw were ready to leave camp and head to the SilverTree. 

"You can't hunt, or eat anything. The SilverTree is a sacred place- never forget that." 

Sunwatcher and Twigstar stood in front of them. Twigstar had been told by Sunwatcher everything- apparently he had the same mindset as Ravenclaw.

"If anything happens on the way there, come back immidiately." Sunwatcher said. "We can't risk losing our medicine cat." 

Jayflight smiled. "What, you think I can't look after myself?" 

Sunwatcher smiled. "Nope, not in the slightest." When Jayflight nudged him playfully, he said "I'm kidding- even without training, you could kill a fox in a fit."

"You bet I could." Jayflight said. Sunwatcher dissapeared into the medicine den, and came back after a minute, clutching two bundles of herbs in his jaws. "Eat these for strength. They'll keep you from getting hungry." 

Jayflight and Ravenclaw licked up the herbs. Ravenclaw made a face, and Jayflight said "Yuuck! I hate these." 

Sunwatcher purred with laughter. "I think it's time we go." Ravenclaw said, anbd Jayflight nodded. 

"Goodbye, then. See you at Sunrise." Twigstar said. "And let us know if StarClan tells you anything." 

Jayflight and Ravenclaw made their way to the SilverTree, and Jayflight remembered seeing the brown tom. It was this morning, yet it felt like years ago. "I saw the brown tom today." she said as they arrived in the clearing where the SilverTree was. 

The SilverTree stood, in all its glory, in front of them. "Wow." Ravenclaw breathed out. "Its..." 

"Beautiful." Jayflight said, smiling. "I know." 

Jayflight padded over to the tree, and laid down next to it. "You can keep watch." She said to Ravenclaw. He nodded.

Preparing herself for what was to come, Jayflight reached with her neck and touched the SilverTree with her nose, closing her eyes.