Chapter 21

After Jayflight drifted off to have her chat with StarClan, Ravenclaw assumed that it would be alright for him to go to sleep, too. She was with StarClan- surely it would keep her safe. And Ravenclaw was tired.

He curled up in the soft moss in the small clearing, wondering if maybe he would dream of StarClan too. He still felt a small prick of jealousy at the fact that Jayflight could communicate with StarClan and not him.

She's a medicine cat, he thought. She has different types of burdens. Its not all just happy-go-lucky dreams from StarClan.

But he fell asleep with the little prick of jealousy like a thorn in his pelt, lodged just deep enough to where he couldn't reach it.

He had thought he drifted into a dark, black, peaceful sleep with no dreams. But that was when Ravenclaw realized- he was concious of the blackness. He could feel that he was asleep.

As soon as he was about to wake himself up, struggle out of the odd feeling, a voice rang out in his ears.

"Hello, Ravenclaw. How nice to see you again." 

Darkspirit!

"I thought you wouldn't return. You've had...plenty of time to consider my offer. I almost thought that you were going to decline. But a little spark of jealousy brought you here, didn't it?"

Its like he can read my thoughts or something, Ravenclaw thought, shuddering. "How did I get here?" 

"Well, simple." Darkspirit said, his lip curling into a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. "You fell asleep jealous, and your subconcious turned that little spark into a fire."

Ravenclaw did notice that his little prick of jealousy had turned into a full on itch, something that he felt wouldn't go away until he did something about it. 

"Well, bringing me here didn't help me, did it?" Ravenclaw asked. "So i'll just go now, thanks." he closed his eyes, hoping to wake himself in the real world, getting a little flicker of fear when he realized he didn't know how.

"Now, now, you still haven't answered me about my offer!" Darkspirit said it like a kit who had missed its chance to catch a butterfly. 

"I know what you are." Ravenclaw spat. "You and your sister. I know what you did." 

Darkspirit's eyes grew wide like a kit. "I didn't know what I was doing, Ravenclaw. I was young and distracted." Ravenclaw searched his eyes for lies, but he found it hard to tell if Darkspirit was lying.

I mean....I've done some pretty questionable things.

But not as questionable as him.

"You killed cats!" Ravenclaw said, louder than he had intended. "You and Ivythorn. You got yourselves killed!"

At the mention of her name, a she cat that had to be Ivythorn slipped out of the shadowy forest behind the beach where Ravenclaw and Darkspirit stood. Her tortoiseshell pelt gleamed in the constant moonlight, and Ravenclaw could have sworn there was a glint of blood in her fur. 

But what scared Ravenclaw about her the most, appeared when she swung her head to look at them. One of her eyes was missing, had been totally clawed out, leaving a huge scar covering her eye. 

"I heard my name?" she said. Her voice was laced with a sweet poison.

"Who's this?" She said, swinging her paw in Ravenclaw's direction. When she raised her arm, he noticed another scar along her chest. He shivered.

"This is Ravenclaw. He might join us." Darkspirit replied. How are these cats Sunwatcher's siblings?

Ivythorn's expression shifted, her scarred muzzle twisting into a grin. She slinked up to Ravenclaw, and stopped when she was a few inches in front of him. He could definitely smell the blood on her pelt now. 

"Yes, please do join us, darling, we'll have so much fun! Everyone here is working to become great warriors. To learn how to avoid the..." She exchanged a glance with Darkspirit. "mistakes we made in our youth."

I mean...every cat deserves a second chance, right? And if all else goes wrong, all I have to do is wake up, if I can figure it out. The small jealous part of him was giving way. This didn't feel right, exactly, but maybe he could become a better warrior to serve his Clan.

And maybe my clan will start to appreciate me as much as my sister.

"I'll give it a shot." Ravenclaw said. Then, to be more clear, and to silence the doubts in his head, he said,

"I'll train with you in the Shadow Sea."