Chapter 4 (Edited)

"Well, Sunwatcher, it looks like you've gotten yourself an apprentice."

The unfamiliar voice snapped Jaypaw out of her awe at the SilverTree. She turned to see a dark brown tabby she-cat with light amber eyes padding towards the SilverTree  and herself. 

"Hello. I'm Oakfern." she said. She seemed decently friendly. "This is my apprentice, Swallowsight." Oakfern guestured towards a dark gray tabby, who had his tail curled around his paws. His deep green eyes seemed to be bored, and he acknowledged Jaypaw and Sunwatcher with a glance and a small "Hi."

"These are the StormClan medicine cats." Sunwatcher explained. "Those cats over there are the LakeClan medicine cats, Shellcloud and Streamspirit," he jerked his head towards a Siamese tom, and a slender silver tabby she cat. The she cat, Streamspirit, looked quite nice, and around Jaypaw's age. Shellcloud looked nicer too, and he was exchanging words with Oakfern.

"And that is the BreezeClan medicine cat, Echosight." Sunwatcher said, flicking his tail towards a dark gray tabby tom. "He doesn't have an apprentice yet, but hopefully he will soon." Echosight looked more serious than the others, and acknowledged Jaypaw and Sunwatcher with a curt nod.

"It's nice to meet all of you!" Said Jaypaw. 

"It's nice to meet you too, Jaypaw." said Streamspirit, smiling at her. "I think you'll be a great addition to our little medicine cat club here." Something told Jaypaw she was outgoing and brave.

"Let's get started, we're wasting moonlight!" Echosight snapped. 

"Oh, alright, you grumpy old flea, let's begin." Said Oakfern. 

Sunwatcher stepped forward to get the other cats attention before they started. "I have to present my apprentice to StarClan." He said. 

Jaypaw's heart skipped a beat. Her mind had been elsewhere while she was thinking about the other cats, and meeting them. 

Sunwatcher stepped forward, and tipped his head to the sky. "I, Sunwatcher, present my apprentice to you, StarClan. I pray that you accept her as you once accepted me." 

He lowered his head and turned to Jaypaw. "To speak to StarClan, you must lay a paw on the SilverTree. Like this." he curled up next to the tree, but shifted a paw so that it was touching the tree. "Or you can sleep with your nose touching it, whichever you prefer." 

"Okay, I can do that." Said Jaypaw, deciding to use her paw so she didn't scratch her nose. She got comfortable, laying beside the tree with a paw out. 

Together the medicine cats laid in a circle around the tree, paws out, except for Shellcloud and Echosight, who had their pink noses pressed against the bark. Jaypaw was squished in between Streamspirit and Sunwatcher, which she didn't mind, but it was a bit uncomfortable. She wasn't sure if they would be able to fit any more medicine cats around the tree.

The SilverTree felt...like power radiated off of it. Which it should, as StarClan's power was within it. As Jaypaw thought about it, wondering which StarClan cat she would hopefully see, she slipped into sleep.

Jaypaw opened her eyes, expecting to see soft green meadows and shimmering waters and starry cats, but instead found herself on a shore of- an ocean? 

She stood in front of a big body of water, which was a deep, shadowy color, almost black, and the sand under her paws was a light gray color. It didn't feel like a StarClan beach, or even a normal one that the LakeClan cats could be seen frolicking around on.

Jaypaw glanced up to the tree line. Maybe she was on the edge of StarClan? Did she have to pass some sort of gross, dark barrier to see her anscestors? 

The trees had brown, rotting leaves, if any, and the moss below was slimy and it looked almost as rotten as the trees. She looked left and right, but the beach was the same both ways- it seemed to stretch on forever. The fog that floated around all of it smelled of death and decay.

This isn't StarClan, for sure. Jaypaw turned in a circle, taking in her odd surroundings. The whole place seemed to be shrounded in shadows. Where am I? What did I do wrong? How did I get here?

Jaypaw suddenly had a horrifying realization. Shadows, an ocean, decay and death, the opposite of StarClan.

I'm in the Shadow Sea, aren't I?

Somehow, Jaypaw knew he was there before she saw him. She turned around, looking out at the Sea again, and outlined against the dark, deep waters, she saw his huge black and white pelted body, his cruel amber eyes. 

When he spoke, it wasn't in her head this time. 

"Hello, Jaypaw." Said Darkspirit. "I've been waiting for you."