• 18 • backs, boards, and bickering

'I never said that we would die together

That doesn't mean it was a lie, remember

Nobody said that it would last forever'

--

"I'm leaving for school!" Anne yelled up at Marilla while bundling up in her scarf, hat, and gloves.

December in PEI was beyond freezing. If Anne dared to leave the house without wearing her outdoor attire, Marilla would tell her she would catch a cold. She used to say 'catch your death,' but the phrase completely left her vocabulary after Matthew died.

"Be safe! Tell Gilbert I said hi!" She instructed.

Anne felt light-headed at the mention of his name.

She quickly shook that feeling off and walked out into the Green Gables yard.

The ground was covered with a delicate layer of white shimmering snow. The trees looked majestical because they had a little snow on them, making them look scrumptiously bright.

Anne marveled in the natural beauty until she spotted a blue figure in the distance.

"Diana!"

Diana beamed at Anne and pulled her in for a hug, "You look happy today Anne. Whatever has you so elated?"

Anne threw her arms up and looked at the sky, "Do you see this landscape? It's like one out of a novel with the beautiful fallen snow and kind animals hopping around. How could one not love this day?"

It was nice for Diana to see Anne this happy. After she heard about everything with Gilbert, she expected Anne to be much more on edge.

"And how are you feeling today about," Diana moved herself closer to Anne so she could whisper, "the kiss?"

"Must we talk about this every day?" Anne whined, starting to walk to school.

"I just think you two should work it out." Diana jogged a bit to catch up to Anne.

"And I just think it doesn't matter if we're friends or not." Anne said sharply.

She didn't believe a word of what she was saying.

Anne felt her heart harden, "He's off in Charlottetown anyways."

"Christmas is in two days." Diana pointed out, "Aren't you spending that with his family?"

"He probably won't even come."

He would come. Of course he would come

"Maybe," Diana knew he would come for Christmas, but picking a fight was too much work, "but didn't he ask you to the ball in January?"

"Well I'm sure that's not happening now." Anne scoffed.

"A gentleman always keeps his word."

"Too bad he's not a gentleman."

--

Only letting it last a few seconds, Anne pulled away from her kiss with Gilbert.

They rested their foreheads on each other's and felt a small moment of bliss. Anne was glad she took the chance. So was Gilbert.

Anne realized what she had impulsively done, "Gilbert, I'm-"

He took her waist, pulled her closer, and kissed her with just as much passion as she had, if not more.

Anne leaned into him and smiled to herself.

Gilbert likes me.

Gilbert pulled Anne into him as much as he could. He just wanted to hold her close and never let anyone get to her at all. No more Billy's or Josie's or Lily's. Just Anne and Gilbert.