• 51 • rain, rings, and rights

'I won't let another minute go to waste

I want you and your beautiful soul'

--

It was a dreadfully rainy day when Anne knocked on the large white door of the Barry home.

Anne had planned her trip to the Barry's, but was quickly sidetracked when she spotted her fox friend. After hours of trying to find where he went, Anne snapped out of her fantasy as the rain poured on her.

That's why Diana had the pleasure of opening her door to a sopping wet, ill-prepared Anne.

"Anne!" Diana quickly ushered her friend inside, "Whatever caused you to walk in the rain without a coat? Are you mad?"

Anne kicked off her shoes immediately and wrapped her arms around her sides, "This is not the first time my imagination has ended in an unintentional bath."

Diana shook her head and let out a small laugh, "Let's get you into something dry."

The two began climbing the stairs when they heard a familiar voice in the parlor.

Anne's eyes widened and she looked at her best friend bewildered, "Is that Gilbert?" She whispered.

"He got here a few minutes ago." Diana tilted her head, "Why does it matter if Gilbert is here?"

"Why is he here?" Anne stared at the parlor entrance and began descending the stairs.

"He came to see my father...Anne where are you going?" Diana followed Anne in an attempt to halt her.

"I need to know what's happening." Anne rushed to the door and crouched behind it.

"Is that a good idea?" Diana scolded her while still joining her.

"Diana! Where's your spirit of adventure?"

"Anne, where's your practicality?"

Anne rolled her eyes, "You sound like Marilla. Come listen."

A mere mention of Marilla was becoming more comforting than not to Anne.

"I don't think this is a good id-"

Anne covered Diana's mouth with her hand, "Shush."

"It was my mothers." Gilbert handed Mr. Barry something, but Anne couldn't tell what.

"It's divine, Gilbert." Mr. Barry nodded approvingly, handing the object back to Gilbert.

Anne squinted her eyes, "Is that...?"

"I don't know - we should go." Diana pleaded.

She had an idea of what was happening. And if she was right, Anne shouldn't see it.

Gilbert stared at the dark red box in his hand, "Is it enough?"

"My dear boy, whatever do you mean?" Mr. Barry sipped his drink, looking jolly as usual.

"You know her," Gilbert sounded nervous, "she's probably dreamed of more than this."

She?

"Ah, but you also know her, much better than I." Mr. Barry chuckled to himself, "If this feels right then I don't see the problem."

"I know," Gilbert closed the box, "I just want it to be everything she's ever wanted."

"You know the history behind this ring will be much more...romantical than something you purchase."

Anne teetered and Diana gasped.