• 59 • dresses, dust, and destiny

I hope you get your dreams,

Just go ahead, let your hair down

--

Anne and Diana dressed themselves for the dance at Green Gables. Normally, they spent their time at the Barry's to get Anne out of the house and have access to the finer comforts of life.

But tonight they wanted to escape a commonly bothersome Minnie May. Not to mention Diana's unconventional escort would surely not garner any support from her family.

So Green Gables it was.

"You just have to wear the blue dress," Diana picked up one of the many dresses laid on Anne's bed and held it up next to Anne. "It matches your eyes exquisitely."

Anne took the royal blue dress from Diana's arms and gently ran her fingers over the fabric.

Diana was right. Blue matched her eyes and balanced the redness of her hair. Plus the sleeves were puffed perfectly.

Perfect. She wanted tonight to be perfect.

"Only if you wear the gold." Anne pointed to a shimmering gold dress at the foot of her bed, "You'll look like a true princess."

Diana giggled, "Me? A princess?"

"Princess Diana," Anne announced, "it rolls right off the tongue!"

The girls giggled, spinning around Anne's room.

"Wait." Diana stopped both of them and took Anne's dress from her arms and set it down. "I must tell you something."

Anne's happiness fell, "Are you sick? Are you dying? Did Jerry do something? Diana I swear if Jerry did something I'll rip the deed of Green Gables from his hands so quickly he'll-"

"No," Diana grabbed her bosom friend's shoulders, "I'm okay, better than okay."

Anne sighed, "Well that's a relief."

"I'm coming to Queens."

"You are?" Anne breathed. "Your parents relented?"

"Somehow they did."

"Diana!" Anne pulled her friend into the tightest hug, "This is the most auspicious news!"

She separated from Diana and held her at arm's length, "What did they say?"

"They said my future was mine. It shouldn't be based on anyone else but me. I needed to follow the path that set me up for success and happiness and I know Queens will do that."

Diana's words rang in Anne's head.

Did I make the choice that's only based on me? Will it set me up for success and happiness?

Anne shook those thoughts out of her mind, "Roommates?"

Diana could see the doubt in her bosom friend's eyes, but hours before the dance was not the moment to confront her.

"Roommates."

Over at the LaCroix/Blythe home, Gilbert also had clothes lying all around his bedroom. However, his was every variation of white shirt he ever owned.

He exited his room and went downstairs to where Mary, Bash, and Delly were staring back at him.

"Better?"

Bash shook his head, "Blythe, it looks the same as every other white shirt you've shown us."

Mary nudged her husband's shoulder, "I fell in love with this man wearing striped pajama pants."

She walked over to Gilbert and pulled on his collar to straighten it, "It's you that matters, not your shirt."

Gilbert sighed, "But it's Anne."

"Who fell in love with a skinny boy with sea legs." Bash called from the table.

"I'm not that skinny anymore." Gilbert murmured defensively.

Bash shook his head and chuckled, "Let's go build a fence and find out."

Mary glared at her husband, "Bash, not now."

"I just want Blythe to choose a shirt before Delly goes to college." Bash bounced his daughter, making her giggle.

Gilbert took a deep breath, "What do you think Mary?"

"I think it's perfect."

Perfect.

Gilbert tugged at his sleeves, "I'll have to use my dad's cuff links."

"If it's Anne you're looking to make happy," Mary put her hands on her hips, "wearing a family heirloom is a great tactic."

"True enough." Gilbert nodded.

He walked past them and entered his father's old room. They intended to eventually make it into a bedroom for Delly when she got older. Gilbert didn't want it to remain a shrine.

For now, however, it sat mostly collecting dust.

He didn't know exactly what drawer he could find the cuff links in, so he dug around a few. His digging stopped when he came across a letter addressed to his father written in a woman's handwriting he could tell wasn't his mother's.

Unable to overcome overwhelming curiosity, he opened it.

Dearest John,

I am beguiled by your offer to join you in your search for a new life. I shall always remember your bravery and strong spirit of adventure.

However, I cannot join you. My mother and brother require my assistance. I would never forgive myself if I left and they never recovered from the unforeseen circumstances brought upon us. I hope you understand.

I will miss you, John. I will never regret every moment we spent together, our dances under the stars, and even each stolen kiss.

I hope this is not our last goodbye.

With love,
Mar

Gilbert read the letter at least three times before it really sunk in. His father was in love with Marilla Cuthbert. But then he left and eventually married Gilbert's mother. Now, Gilbert and Anne were in love.

The world worked in strange ways. Was this a rekindling that was always meant to be? What if Marilla had joined his father? Would he never have met Anne?

Gilbert couldn't answer any of those questions with certainty. All he knew was he couldn't mess this up.

This evening. This waltz. This unsaid courtship.

This undeniable love he had for Anne Shirley-Cuthbert.

--

A/N

Are we ready for a dance?