• 33 • engagEment, extend, and exploding

'Forget about the stupid little things

Like the way it felt to fall asleep next to you'

--

Spring came quickly and the older children of Avonlea were hard at work preparing for exams. Miss Stacy began a Queen's exam study group that every student joined...except Diana. 

Diana was stuck at home under her mother's rule. Mrs. Barry was trying desperately to finish her daughters, even though Diana would still attend finishing school in lieu of queens. 

This fact made Diana miserable. Her only shining light was Jerry. He became her secret life away from the world of pinkies up and tea at high noon. 

Meanwhile, Ruby set her sights on a new man. Giving up on Gilbert, her attention turned to the last person she expected: Moody. Ruby was obsessed with him, and Moody was more than okay with it.

This meant the story club was back on. Ruby spent the entire time talking about Moody, so Diana didn't even have a chance to ask Anne about Gilbert. 

Anne and Gilbert were holding each other at arm's length. They still spent time studying together, especially since exams were coming and more work was needed on the farms. But both remembered what was said the night of Gilbert's party. 

Anne didn't know what to do. Part of her wanted to tell Gilbert how she felt, but Winifred was still very present in the situation, if not more so than before. 

Gilbert thought about apologizing, but he couldn't. He meant what he said and now it was Anne's turn to respond.

Gilbert didn't want to just sit and wait for Anne, so he kept befriending Winifred. He didn't want to say they were courting out loud. That made it too real. But he knew it was happening, and that fact terrified him. 

The reality of the situation hit him when the Roses invited him to dinner and Mr. Rose pulled him aside after they ate.

"Thank you for inviting me to dinner," Gilbert followed Mr. Rose into a large library with leather chairs and clear glass tables.

"You're a gentleman, you're driven, and Winnie adores you." Mr. Rose sat across from Gilbert with an approving smile.

Gilbert scratched the back of his neck anxiously. He wasn't one for compliments, even if they were meaningful.

"There's no one else I would want to invite into my home." Mr. Rose leaned back in his chair.

"Thank you, sir." Gilbert sat upright, afraid to let his guard down whatsoever. 

Mr. Rose cleared his throat, "I want you to take me seriously when I say this, son."

Gilbert's heart was racing, "I will."

Serious was not something Gilbert wanted to think about right now. Everything was serious with exams on the horizon and college depending solely on his performance on them. 

The beautiful thing about the Roses was how they weren't too serious. Gilbert had to be proper, but he felt free to make jokes and relax. Aside from his adventures with Anne, this was the most cathartic thing he'd done in a while.

Mr. Rose scanned the library, "We own a beautiful flat in Paris that Winifred adores. She loves France and has wanted to go back for some time now."

Gilbert nodded silently. He had a feeling he knew where this was going and he wanted to be wrong more than anything.

"That flat happens to be a short walk from the Sorbonne."

Gilbert started sweating. 

Mr. Rose looked right a him, "Do you understand what I'm saying?"