• 44 • recalling, relating, and releasing

'Start to see this, everyone I know cannot believe this

I'm trying to hold on to the sweetest feeling

So I'll never let you go, don't you leave me lonely now'

--

Anne walked into Maggie's dorm and her jaw dropped, "This is just ravishing."

The room was like a smaller version of the Barry's house. There was a small table adorned with a lace cloth and tiny tea cups. To her right was a large armoire with black and white photos stuffed in its cracks and on the left a desk with three shelves holding books and little knick-knacks. The curtains hanging by the window were long and luscious as they hid a view of the campus.

Maggie smiled, "Thanks. This is really all Ruth's doing. If I had it my way, I'd be in a cottage under a tree." She shook her head at herself, "I'm sure that doesn't make sense."

Anne couldn't believe how similar they were, "I have a hideaway like that in Avonlea. My friends and I write stories."

"About what?"

"Anything we can think of. Evil witches, dastardly pirates, dashing princes, tragical romances, anything."

Maggie's face brightened, "That sounds lovely. I wish I had something like that."

"You can send your stories to me, if you would like to. My friends and I send them to my mentor and muse, Aunt Jo. I'd be happy to pass them along."

"I would love that."

Anne beamed at her. Had she found a kindred spirit in Toronto?

"Let's have some tea." Maggie motioned for Anne to sit and picked up her kettle to pour into their cups.

After offering and distributing sugar, Maggie took her cup, "So," she smiled devilishly, "Tell me about Gilbert."

Anne nearly choked on her drink, "Excuse me?"

"I'd have to be blind to not see how you two were acting." Maggie giggled, "Tell me everything."

Anne took a second the think. Was she really about to reveal her heart to a girl she only knew for a few hours?

"I hated him when we first met."

"You did?"

"I hit him over the head with a slate."

"You did?"

"Yes." Anne sighed longingly, "But we grew up. He went away for a year and I think that changed our fate."

Maggie stirred her tea, "So what are you now?"

Anne honestly didn't know the answer, "Friends?"

"There's no way you two are just friends."

Anne felt her heart ache, "We have to be. There's another girl."

"Another girl?" Maggie leaned forward, "Tell me everything."

For some reason, it felt right to tell Maggie, "It all started when he pulled my hair."

--

Gilbert laid on Charlie's spare mattress and stared up at the ceiling.

They had an uneventful night. Charlie kept talking at Gilbert about how wonderful U of T was and how he had to go there so they could work in the lab with Dr. Brenker.

Gilbert couldn't focus. There was too much swirling in his head for him to mind Charlie. He felt bad. Charlie was fine. But he didn't know him or trust him.