XXIII

****TW: this chapter uses violent and graphic imagery****

Once Athena, Ron and Harry are ushered away, Bellatrix once again shouts the unforgivable curse. The green light shoots from the top of her wand and straight into mine and Hermione's stomachs.

We fall to the floor, me on my side and Hermione on her back. We both let out screams as the pain courses through our system, my veins popping with electricity.

Bellatrix releases us from the curse, my body aching from everything it's just endured. She jumps on top of Hermione, pinning her hands to the floor as she straddles her.

"That sword is meant to be in my vault at Gringotts... How did you get it?"

Bellatrix speaks in a whisper, but her voice is still thick with anger. Hermione whimpers as their faces are mere inches apart, separated only by Bellatrix's curly black hair and sloped wand.

I watch in horror from my side, my gut still twisting as the Malfoy's join us once more. Their presence is like ice to my core, shivers running down my spine and goosebumps raising on my forearms. I feel the heat inside me vanish, I had nothing to defend myself with.

"What did you and your friends take from my vault!" Bellatrix is yelling now, almost screeching.

I shift my head up to look for Draco, his eyes filled with tears and his back rigid and terrified. He and I both know all to well what his aunt is capable of, and when she's angry, there's no way of stopping her.

"We didn't take anything, please, I didn't take anything..." Hermione chokes out, full on sobbing.

Bellatrix rolls her eyes, grabbing Hermione by the cheek and forcing her head toward where I lay. She swings her wand around in her fingers and presses it deeply into Hermione's opposite forearm as if she's carving something.

Hermione and I lock eyes as she lets out a guttural scream, true fear erupting from her as her head gets pushed further into the ballroom floor.

I wince as watch Bellatrix, her precision unfazed by Hermione's cries for help. After a few stomach churning moments, Bellatrix sighs, getting up licking the tip of her wand clean of Hermione's blood.

I feel myself start to shake as she turns to me, giddy with blood lust from whatever's she's done to the now lifeless girl next me.

"And you?" She says, teetering the few steps over to where I lay. "You evil little traitor."

I swallow hard, my gaze darting to Draco who stands completely paralyzed in fear. I beg him with my eyes to step in, do something to help me and get us out of here.

I used to think he could read my mind, now I'm praying I was right.

"He's not going to save you now!" Bellatrix yells, following my gaze to her nephew.

She grabs my forearm and pulls me across the floor, throwing me at Draco's feet like a rag doll.

He lets in a sharp breath, stepping back, his mouth falling open as he lets out a startled yelp. I look up to him as a hot tear rolls down my cheek, the past weeks memories flooding my mind.

If there was one thing I knew, it was Draco. And as much as I still loved him for all his faults, he would never betray his family, even for me.

I had dug my own grave.

My stream of consciousness is thrashed as Bellatrix takes a fist full of hair and tosses me so I am spread out on my back. She pins me down in the same way she did Hermione, but hold my head down so I have to stare at Draco.