XVIII

We walk back to the tent, my arm aching from all my previous clawing. Harry and Ron stare warily at me as I try to soothe the area by massaging it with my fingers, their eyes locked on the skull and snake.

I pull Hermione's sweater sleeve down to cover it, uncomfortable with the glances and muffled whispering between them.

Eventually, we reach a familiar section of the woods, Harry motioning for Ron to wait.

"Hermione! Athena?" He yells.

The girls come bounding out, half of Athena's hair braided while the other is left untouched.

"Is everything alright?" Hermione asks.

Athena chuckles, "Yeah, I was getting my hair done! Couldn't this wait?"

Harry smiles, "It's fine! Actually, you know, it's more than fine."

We stand a few feet away from the girls as their eyes shift behind us, Hermione's mouth turning down into a frown as I hear Ron's feet crush a fallen twig.

"Hey," Ron doesn't seem to notice her disappointment.

Hermione fakes a smile, something only another girl would notice, as she closes the gap between them. She reaches a hand out, Ron lifting his to grab her's but she quickly swats it away.

She beats into his shoulder, ripping at his clothes and tossing his bag to the ground.

"You complete arse, Ronald Weasley!" She shouts as he crouches down to avoid her blows. "You show up here after weeks and say, 'Hey!'"

She spins to Athena, "Who has my wand?"

Athena shrugs, her eyes wide as she hides her sly smile.

She turns back to Harry, "Where's my wand Harry? Where's my wand!"

"I don't know!" He responds, raising his hands in defense.

She bolts to him, "Harry Potter, you give me my wand!"

"I don't have it!" He says, the two of them chasing each other around a tree.

"How come he's got your wand?" Ron adds, his brow furrowed in confusion and slight betrayal.

Hermione turns to him with wild eyes, "Never mind why he's got my wand!" She stops in her tracks, her gaze shifting to the locket in his hand. "What is that? You destroyed it?"

"No way!" Athena says, walking over to Ron and inspecting the jewelry.

Hermione places a hand on her hip, "And how is it that you just happened to have the Sword of Gryffindor?"

"It's a long story," Harry says meeting my eyes.

Hermione lets out a huff, "Don't think this changes anything."

She grabs Athenas hand and starts back to the tent but Ron stops her. "Oh course not! I only just destroyed a bloody horcrux, why would that change anything? Look... I wanted to come back as soon as I left. I just didn't know how to find you."

"How did you find us?" Athena asks, attempting to ease the tension.

"With this," Ron pulls a small rod out of his pocket. "It doesn't just turn off lights! I don't know how it works but Christmas morning I was sleeping in this little pub, keeping away from some snatchers, and I heard it!"

"It?" Harry questions.

Ron nods, "A voice, your voice Hermione. Coming out of it."

Hermione's shoulders ease a little as she listens to him speak, "And what exactly did I say, may I ask?"