XVI

"He's your what?" Hermione asks, her concerned eyes meeting mine.

Athena tilts toward me, "Wait is that what you've been hiding and your mom has been so weird? Is that why you had to leave Ilvermorny?"

"Yeah... But it turns out it was all a lie. My mother said she was keeping me safe but-" I start.

"Keeping you safe?!" Hermione says with a sympathetic laugh. "I doubt that."

I shrug, "Well you'd be right. Everything has been a set up to get me to join the Death Eaters with her."

I watch as Hermione's eyes dart to my left forearm, the blanket I took from Bathilda's house just barely covering my branding.

"So, do you know anything about your father?" Hermione asks, trying to get back to the point.

I know I should tell them about the wand, how Voldemort is searching for one of the three most powerful objects in the Wizarding World. But for some reason I can't get myself to say it, the fear of the Dark Lord still fresh in mind.

As much as I wanted to get revenge on the Death Eaters for everything they did to me, the power hold over me is still too strong. This was the moment Draco and I were waiting for, when everything came together and we were able to fight with the right side.

But I couldn't get my mouth to open, luckily Hermione's truth serum had worn off as I grappled with what to tell them. They would figure it out eventually right?

"Not really, may I see the picture?" I ask, tucking a loose piece of hair behind my ear in hopes to maintain a look of normalcy.

She nods and hands me the book, the moving image nearly jumping off the page. He's good looking, I can see why my mother fell for him. It's hard to tell from the black and white picture but his hair is a lighter color.

To my surprise, we look alike, the same nose and forehead. His eyes are different colors, one darker and the other a light opaque.

Athena squats next to me, searching the picture for anything she can find.

"Whoa... Everett, you have his eyes." She says with shock, grabbing the book from my hands.

I furrow my brow, "No I don't."

"Your eye, it changed color, Everett. One is white now," Hermione chimes in. "I read that can happen with magical parents, particularly dark wizards. The more you act like them, the more you look alike."

"But I'm not anything like him!" I retort, cursing my lineage.

Athena hands the book to Hermione and settles in next to me. "Everett, how did you get to Godrics Hollow yesterday? Do you remember?"

"Of course I remember, I appa- Oh..." I trail off remembering my fight with Draco, my choice words and anger fueled accusations. "I was cruel..."

Hermione tilts her head in comfort, "You were cruel?"

I nod, "Draco. I blamed him for my mother, for the Dark Lord, for everything. I started yelling at him and... I said some really terrible things to him."

"Screw him!" Athena yells. "He deserves everything he gets, little rat faced piece of-"

"Athena!" I slap her on the arm playfully. "He's not a rat. He's actually a really great guy just... Stuck between a rock and hard place."

Luckily, our girl talk is interrupted by Harry emerging from the tent, his arm wrapped in bandages.

Hermione looks up at him, "Are you feeling better?"