XXII

I struggle in Greybacks arms, his hands holding tightly to my shoulders as we walk up the all too familiar path toward the frightening black doors.

My heart races in my chest for I'm sure this is where I die. There was no way I could talk my way out of this one, being Voldemort's right hand man then leaving to join Harry Potter?

Hell, even I would kill me.

I look back to Athena, her tired eyes are wide and wild, taking in the enormous manor in front of us for the first time. I try to calm her with a look but she doesn't notice, her gaze focused on scanning the Malfoy's house.

I turn back to the place I once called home; a place I found comfort in, a house I knew like the back of my hand, but now I didn't recognize it. The windows seemed darker, the atmosphere was cold and I was definitely not welcome anymore.

I can see my breath in a fog as Greyback drags me to the front gate, pushing me against the iron, my cheeks smushed up against the metal as I try to breathe.

All at once, I smell her perfume and everything in me begging to run. I desperately try to turn the fire on, get Greybacks hands off me so I can run but the fear is overwhelming.

The burning sensation is replaced by cold, hard, panic as I stand eye to eye with Bellatrix Lestrange. She smirks evilly as she realizes I'm debilitated, her nose crinkling in joy.

She opens her mouth seductively, her breath fanning out across my face, "Get... Draco...."

My body freezes as the gate swings open, Bellatrix's laugh echoing through the front garden. My stomach starts flipping as we get closer and closer to the door, my last memory of throwing Draco's necklace flooding my mind.

I can hear Ron struggle behind me while Hermione and Athena try to wiggle out of the snatchers grips, our last ditch efforts to escape doing nothing.

I look to Harry next me, his face still swollen from the jinx, and to my surprise he seems calm. I try to emulate his energy, hoping to regain some strength to burn Greyback's hands.

But it doesn't work, no matter how hard I try I can't shake the fear. Watching Bellatrix saunter in front of me and open the manor door sends a chill down my spine, a feeling I haven't felt in a very long time. Not even my first meeting with Voldemort had me this strung out.

Before I had advantages: I had my abilities, I had Draco, and most importantly I had my father.

None of that mattered now. Harry had seen my father in a vision, and whatever he saw made him absolutely sure that the Dark Lord knew where the Elder Wand was.

Not only did I abandon him, Voldemort no longer needed me to reach my father, he could dispose of me and no one would care.

I feel myself tense as I walk up the steps and into the warmth of the foyer, the familiar scent of crisp apples and lavender chamomile bringing me a false sense of comfort.

I close my eyes and take everything in, I can almost imagine it just was a week ago, waking up with Draco by my side and everything normal.

I shake my head, bursting open my eyes. "Get a grip, Everett!" I think to myself. Nothing was fine a week ago, it just felt that way. The Wizarding World was still crumbling around us, it was just easier to ignore then.

They shuffle us all into the main ballroom, a place I had only ever been in for the Malfoy Christmas party. The snatchers take Hermione, Ron and Athena to the back, but throw Harry and I to Bellatrix.

She whips out her wand and yells, "Crucio!"

We both fall to the floor in agony, clutching our chests as we writhe in pain. As much as it hurts, I try to focus on the small burning sensation returning to my stomach. It wasn't much but it was a start.